Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gralloching knife

Gralloching knife

How do folks,

Just finished this little knife for a mate of mine. It's type needs no introduction.

Steel is 3mm 01 Tool steel, handle scales are Ivory linen micarta. Just needs an edge put on it and a makers mark.

It's going to be part of a pair, but I'm still doing the master blade.

Let me know what you think, all criticism/advice gratefully received.

All the best,
    Nick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0234.jpg   IMG_0237.jpg   IMG_0240.jpg  

Hi mate,

Very nice work as usual. I've just commissioned a similar set from Stuart Mitchell. 40th birthday present to myself.

I've just sold my .270 and I've lodged 133 rnds with my local rfd. I bought them cheap and you can have them even cheaper if they're any use to you.

Best wishes,
    Glyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Holkham Estate View Post
    Hi mate,

Very nice work as usual. I've just commissioned a similar set from Stuart Mitchell. 40th birthday present to myself.

I've just sold my .270 and I've lodged 133 rnds with my local rfd. I bought them cheap and you can have them even cheaper if they're any use to you.

Best wishes,
    Glyn.
    Thanks mate,

I'll have those .270's off of you, I'll bell you about it. About time me and Peter came up for a look isn't it?

Be good to see you both. Did you say that Peter wanted to sell me that AI for what it cost him? Glyn

Quote Originally Posted by Holkham Estate View Post
    Be good to see you both. Did you say that Peter wanted to sell me that AI for what it cost him? Glyn
    Only way either of us get that is from his cold dead fingers mate!

thats some real nice work there

Some nice filework on the spine there.
    Iv a stalking knife in carbon fibre and titanium made by Rob Bayley.
    Still trying to bring myself to use it.

Looks a nice strong knife.

Really nice work Nick, i keep considering having a go at making my own knife,

Quote Originally Posted by GarryS View Post
    Really nice work Nick, i keep considering having a go at making my own knife,
    Probably the best way to start is by putting your own handle on a shop bought blade.

Have a look at the Enzo range from Brisa. I use the fisher model as a larder knife, I handled it with orange G10 which was quite a hard material to work with but the result is good. Wood or antler is much easier to work with.

You might be supprised how easy the handleing part is, basic DIY plus alot of thinking about how to do it, measure twice, cut once and all that.

The real skill, i'm told, comes in making the blade but even that can't be too hard if Simmo can do it!

Glyn.