Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: galvanised chassis

galvanised chassis

Only stalking related as the landy is used as the shooting wagon so forgive me for the tenuous connection.
    I am saving for the replacement of my land rover 90 pick up chassis. Some parts are obviously worth replacing like the bushes etc but what else would you guys suggest.

Unfortuneatly funds are limited so no snorkels or winch's needed

Regards pj

Check your bulkhead.Major job on a landrover. If you can get one and the rust is into yours do it at the same time. Same with brakepipes. It sounds a simple job but there is a lot of labour doing a changeover, If components like fuel tank, radiator, rad pipes look fine but start to leak after disturbance costs esculate. Check the rust areas, you could end up with a chassis and the top bit falling off. Best of luck, Jim

Have a decent contingency fund ready and replace bits as you go. You WILL end up replacing bits you didnt expect to, they never come apart / to bits as you'd hope. Defo a full new bush kit, ball joints etc, certainly look at doing the front swivel housings on the front axle while you've got it off? Perhaps look, as jimbo has suggested, at doing the bulkhead, you can get galv items to go with the chassis at the same time. Is your power steering pump, water pump etc in good nick? Maybe do all belts while the engines out as well.

Tom

GThanks guys. Its a bit scary isnt it. The bulk head looks really sound thankfully. Not so sure about the seat box though. Mechanically its really good. Timing belt. Fan belt and water pump all done when i bought it. I hope to take most of the body work off at home and then trailer it to a mates workshop to do the swop. We had to take rear springs out last mot and it all came apart surprisingly well. Im hoping as the rear of the landy is in the worst condition and it wasnt to bad to work on then the rest will be ok but time will tell. Only have it on the road for the rest of this month as mot is then due so will be back to putting deer in the back of the wifes car . Oh dear

I know the galv chassis looks nice but if I were you I'd paint it, a galv chassis landy is garunteed to attract the attention of light fingered ar*eholes. Seat box is an easy fix, plenty of second hand ones kicking about, take a good look at the footwells while you're at it, they tend to hold on to moisure and happily rot away under the mats. Give the wiring at the rear end a good look at as well.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Only stalking related as the landy is used as the shooting wagon so forgive me for the tenuous connection.
    I am saving for the replacement of my land rover 90 pick up chassis. Some parts are obviously worth replacing like the bushes etc but what else would you guys suggest.

Unfortuneatly funds are limited so no snorkels or winch's needed

Regards pj

Change the most important part.......& go for a mitsi preferably the import pajero !! haha

agree wiyh everybodys comments so far apart from the last one of course,i bought my300tdi 90 of my brother in law as a partially completed project as he just didnt have the time to get on with it so i got what looked like a 90 on a new galvy chassis and fully re bushed (it had been off the roads for 3yearsand with the help of my mate who is very land rover savvy we got everything back together and replaced any bits that looked dodgy but i was a bit tight for cash at the end and didnt take his advice to replace all the shock absorbers as they looked ok to me,big mistake,a month after getting it back on the road i was going up to one of the woods i shoot 60 mile from home when one of the rear shockers snapped(i had quad on trailer as well),luckily the spring stayed in and i got it secured with heavy duty tiewraps and a ratchet strap and headed carefully back home and by time i got home the other rear shocker had snapped too!!so my advice is if you think its dodgy replace it ,I,ve had it on the road nearly 2 years 15000 miles and offroad(properly off road)at least once a week and done plenty towing and all i,ve replaced is a new power steering box and new uj,s on props.Regarding mitsi another stalker known to me(he is a member on here)at the same time my shocker snapped,the same happened to him and he wasnt towing anything but he did roll over on the main road and end up in a ditch luckily not too badly hurt what was he driving? a shogun=no thanks

Having done this too many times:

Soak every nut, bolt etc etc. you can get to repeatedly well in advance. Get some cheap light oil (diesel will do at a pinch) in one of the squeezy squirters that household cleaners come it.

If possible (unlikely I know), leave the chassis to weather for a year. Degrease, prep the chassis with T-wash (mordent solution) then etch primer then your choice of paint (either tough or pretty) as you like. Paint it before fitting, avoiding anywhere that you need to get a bolt or bush through but concentrating on the top which will be difficult to do later. Don't leave it unpainted - having spent all that money, give it the best chance of immortality.

Check the bulkhead carefully - if possible, blast it and repaint. Think carefully before being tempted to galvanise it as they can distort - ditto extensive welding in one area too rapidly.

Get any engine/gearbox work done while it's easy - don't know what engine you've got but things like belts, water pump, input shafts should be checked/replaced.

Check door bottoms and patch as necessary with the repair sections now available.

Check wiring loom - this is likely to have become brittle and I would strongly advise replacing it to avoid lots of intermitent faults. Make sure it is protected carefully where it goes through the chassis/bulkhead - don't reuse old grommets. It's a good idea to run dedicated earths to front and back corners to improve light performance.

Reassemble with lots of grease. Use isolating patches between steel/ali panels (offcuts of the plastic underfelt with fibre reinforcement used by roofers are excellent for this).

Replace all of the rubber sealing strips between top and bottom of windscreen, cab to tub etc. - this costs very little and makes a big difference.

Pop over to Land Rover Owner Index page for detailed advice for every step of the way.

Good luck
    Knots

I have a pickup just finshed a couple off years ago & found a fiuel lick lastnight . I done my chassis & popped a 200tdi in at the same time. ran it for a year. then I noticed the bulkhead was going after that. time to start again.
    look at bulkhead axles & engine gear box tube everything before you start taken it to bits. if there is anything wrong with yours you mite awell replaces it at the same time
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02032011270.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	9065

"Regarding mitsi another stalker known to me(he is a member on here)at the same time my shocker snapped,the same happened to him and he wasnt towing anything but he did roll over on the main road and end up in a ditch luckily not too badly hurt what was he driving? a shogun=no thanks "

Landrover defender wont go fast enough to roll over on a main road so your safe enough. While you are cleaning the ice off the inside of your windows and trying to see out your windscreen with the comedy wipers and attempting to get the heater working with rosary beads and rubbing furiously.

i will already be there ... in a shogun

Only good thing about a Landy is your spanners wont get rusty.