Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife sharpening

Knife sharpening

How do folks,

After Sakowsm's thread about how hopeless he is at knife sharpening I've offered to do it for him.

I've started this thread as what Raymond is doing in the attached video is no different to how i sharpen my knives. I've tried the Lanskey system and just don't get on with it myself.

So for all you chaps that are turning knives into door wedges, have a look at this:

Nice one. How much are the blocks to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    They're not cheap, i think you can get them from Raymonds website now. Just do a google search for Japanese water stones and you'll get what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    Did you find anywhere local Steve?

Hi i have a buck vanguard that has two bevels and the makers recommend an angle of 13 to 16 degrees must be obtained, so i cant see how it can be achived doing it Raymonds way, has anyone has more views on this?

Quote Originally Posted by digger9523 View Post
    How do folks,

After Sakowsm's thread about how hopeless he is at knife sharpening I've offered to do it for him.

I've started this thread as what Raymond is doing in the attached video is no different to how i sharpen my knives. I've tried the Lanskey system and just don't get on with it myself.

So for all you chaps that are turning knives into door wedges, have a look at this:

I carry a set every where

I think Raymond's main supplier is this lot: Japanese Waterstones products from Axminster

As for degrees of angle for the Buck vanguard, you'll be able to do it Raymond's way, but you'll just have to keep an eye on it as you won't have as much area to play with. His knife is made of 01 tool steel that's 4mm thick, hence the reason he can have that high flat bevel. Part of the reason he designed it that way.

Also, just in case you didn't realise, there's a part 2 to the original video. Here it is:
    Last edited by digger9523; 11-09-2011 at 19:30.

thanks for that advice Digger, maybe i could use some sort of packer under the flat of the knife blade as a guide to sharpen that second bevel on the vanguard and possibly all models in the Buck range.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr View Post
    thanks for that advice Digger, maybe i could use some sort of packer under the flat of the knife blade as a guide to sharpen that second bevel on the vanguard and possibly all models in the Buck range.
    I've seen angle guides before now made of plastic that sit at the end of the stone, you rest your blade against it and then push away into the stone keeping the blade at the angle the guide is set at. Wouldn't be too hard to make a wooden one i reckon.

Thought the wooden guide would blockup the stone maybe that guide to sharpen plane blades advertised on the web site you mentioned would do the trick?