Thread: Why, when zeroing / checking grouping......

Why, when zeroing / checking grouping......

....does the idiot behind the trigger (i.e. - me) always pull the 5th shot?

4 shots inside 1/2". 5th shot left. ****!!

I knew it was wrong as soon as I pulled the trigger. It's plenty good enough for hunting (after 1 click left) but just bloody annoyed with myself.

Other than that, the sun was shining, there wasn't another human being for miles, two Red Kites were picking at some of last nights rabbits and a female Hen Harrier was quartering the field. Not all bad.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Practice dry firing ad-infinitum until you lose that movement, remember that you are burning neural pathways in the brain, you can succeed!

one Click left as requested

either a pulled shot, or the barrel getting hot and throwing one,,or a non uniform load?

nice little group though, would be proud of that any day.

100 yds off-hand you say?

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    either a pulled shot, or the barrel getting hot and throwing one,,or a non uniform load?

nice little group though, would be proud of that any day.

100 yds off-hand you say?
    I know I pulled it because I do it nearly every time I get a good group. The last shot I seem reluctant to fire and I'm holding my breath too long and then snatching - not squeezing - the trigger. Dry firing is a good idea and I will give that a try.

Thing is, when live shooting, we don't ever need 5 shots so I suppose I'm getting annoyed at nothing?

Shots are not off-hand but off a plank fixed between the passenger seat and dashboard of my 4 x 4 because 75% of my shooting is done out of the vehicle.

Ash I will send you the .pdf's before posting next time? Thanks.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Could be down to warm barrel or inconsistency of your ammo,more probable reason is yourself.The art of shooting good groups is consistency ie holding rifle in the same manner everytime dont look up after each shot,operate the bolt in the sane manner every shot.More important is good practice more the better.However the group is good enough for deer,good luck.

why fire 5 shots...........fire 3 and see if you always pull the 3rd;then you will see if its mind games.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy_f View Post
    why fire 5 shots...........fire 3 and see if you always pull the 3rd;then you will see if its mind games.
    i always pull the 3rd lol i go down the warm barrel theory then especially with mod on !

Worth a try

+1
    Yep, whatever the group there's a tendency to pull the last one, third shot on the Blaser, 4th on the Remmy, 10th on the RPA.
    Psychological, a tic, or just poor technique. Whatever, more of us do it than care to admit, but practice should iron out the wrinkle.
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work