Ridgeline, nomad or harkila?

flyingfisherman

Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been done to death so forgive me. until today, I was certain that the harkila pro hunter was the way forward and was ready to spend £395 on it.. I've heard a few recommendations for nomad but due to the problems of actually seeing the gear, I didn't go and further with it.

I went to my local gun shop today and found that they stock some nomad gear as well as ridgeline. I was informed that the nomad is 100% waterproof, windproof and breathable. Guaranteed... It was so light to wear and obviously silent! the ridgeline stuff looked better made with more pockets but was noisier and in a funny khaki colour which seemed a bit light for my liking.

So.. Whats best? Harkila and nomad are similar price, ridgeline is cheaper but nomad seems just like fleece, is it actually waterproof?

Cheers,

FFM

i am a full time stalker on the west coast of scotland and have tried swazi/deerhunter/harkila pro hunter / paramo / gortex tweed and nomad. all except nomad have leaked all have been sent back replaced and still leaked. as soon as pressure is applied water comes through.ridgeline looks the same as swazi(new zealand). so all i use is nomad have used it for 7 years no leaks only problem is it is getting expensive.

Nomad is waterproof, warm, but gets very heavy when wet and takes an age to dry. Harkila kit is good altho every pair of Harkila trousers I have had have leaked around the arse area after a couple of years. No experience of Ridgeline. The Ridgeline jacket is a copy of the best waterproof jacket ever made (IMO), the Swazi Tahr. My Tahr is now 3 years old and still going strong. Available form either Swazi.com or Ray Mears website.

Great info guys, I'm interested to hear that nomad gear gets heavy. By the look of the construction I assumed that it repelled the water on the surface opposed to it soaking through to some sort of waterproof layer? I'm still pretty certain I'm going to get a pair of pro hunter trousers. They seem well made and should be waterproof, saying that most thngs are shower or rain proof but what about sitting on your backside for hours proof?!

Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been done to death so forgive me. until today, I was certain that the harkila pro hunter was the way forward and was ready to spend £395 on it.. I've heard a few recommendations for nomad but due to the problems of actually seeing the gear, I didn't go and further with it.

I went to my local gun shop today and found that they stock some nomad gear as well as ridgeline. I was informed that the nomad is 100% waterproof, windproof and breathable. Guaranteed... It was so light to wear and obviously silent! the ridgeline stuff looked better made with more pockets but was noisier and in a funny khaki colour which seemed a bit light for my liking.

So.. Whats best? Harkila and nomad are similar price, ridgeline is cheaper but nomad seems just like fleece, is it actually waterproof?

Cheers,

FFM

Ok can't comment on Nomad or Harkila but bought a new Buffalo camo NZ Ridgeline suit (Smock top and trousers- see pic below) for Scotland Roe rut. As you can imagine it rained a lot!!

Yes well made and definitely water proof. But you still sweat like a bar steward in it.. particularly if moving about a lot in summer. I reckon it should be pretty good in winter with warm layers underneath.

Really depends on what you want it to do? The way I figure it is ...if you want your gear to be really waterproof.. its probably not going to be that breathable. But I don't like getting wet thru and cold, so I settle for a sweaty T-shirt instead or sit still. Difficult for me to sit still for long!

Tullich Farm Aug 2011 021.jpg

nomad clothing is very good but after sales warranty does not exist i know it took 9 months and every excuse to get a pair of trouser fixed.

Cheers guys, one question re: harkila is apart from the odd time i go stalking in sub zero temperatures, is this jacket going to be too warm?

I have 3 Nomad jackets and until recently a pair of +4's and they go downhill in appearance from day one. One of the zips on a jacket went wrong and Philip had to send it to China (i think) to be repaired and it took 3 months to fix. He loaned me a quadrider smock which i ended up buying. The styling and workmanship of Nomad is very basic with no linings or anything to see where the money has been spent on as they are not cheap... Harkila clothing is also expensive but the workmanship and attention to detail can be seen... between the two, Harkila is leagues ahead and exudes quality where the Nomad just look cheap but they both have thier place in your wardrobe.

cheers red dot.. i have concerns about the noise of the pro hunter and also it being too hot unless its sub zero.. what are your thoughts?

I only have a Kodiak suit and i have never worn it in anger. I have a Harkla cammo jacket which is lighter weight and can be layered beneath. (got way too many coats etc)! Out of them all i would recommend the Nomad for rough use but for high seat or standing in wait, the Harkila.

Just a word of caution Ben re the Swazi (if you were considering).

If you venture out in rain you will find water wicks up the neoprene cuffs, this then wicks up shirt sleeves and then down your back and then onto your underwear etc etc! I have a keeper friend who warned me about this problem before I bought mine but I didn't listen to him and because they looked the part went out and bought one anyway.

I have written to Swazi to provide constructive feedback and let them aware of the problem. They wrote back to me to say they were aware of this issue and were looking to improve the design. I have asked them to inform me of when they are intending to rectify this design fault and I might then consider buying another one.

My keeper friend has rectified the problem by gluing dry suit cuffs to the inside and he now swears by it. I haven't done this as yet but intend to. However, if you look at the price of them, making a self improvement isn't something I thought I would have to do.

Don't think Ray Mears has been out in bad weather in one of these either or else I can't see him recommending them!

If your looking to spend nearly £400 on a jacket then that puts you in the top end of Musto, they are expensive but can't bebeaten for waterproofing. If you can't go that high then there is stuff thats nearly as good but in terms of all over quality, from the lining to the design to the waterproofness, they really are the best!

i wear nomad for day to day use cant fault it.
just bought some stuff from country covers the falklands trouser and getting the smock and jacket too.
brilliant stuff excelant back up and told me if ever it leaks he will replace no questions asked , friend of mine has had a jacket for 6 years and can not distroy it and he is a keeper and we were put ont his earth to test stuff to the extreme.
ridgeline not good sweat like nobodys bisness .
musto not bad but have had issues with the liners before.
shoffel very nice but ok on shooting peg mut always seemed like it might tear in some heavy cover.

cheers red dot.. i have concerns about the noise of the pro hunter and also it being too hot unless its sub zero.. what are your thoughts?
A friend of mine has a prohunter jacket and I must say I'm tempted by one. Its not a particularly noisy jacket so I wouldn't have concerns on that score, bit extremely tough fabric that wont rip on briars etc... Its also not a heavy lined jacket either like some of the insulated cold weather harkilas and others. Seems to be a good all round jacket for a stalker. Most like Musto etc. seem designed for the driven shooter.

:thumb: +1
Just a word of caution Ben re the Swazi (if you were considering).

If you venture out in rain you will find water wicks up the neoprene cuffs, this then wicks up shirt sleeves and then down your back and then onto your underwear etc etc! I have a keeper friend who warned me about this problem before I bought mine but I didn't listen to him and because they looked the part went out and bought one anyway.

I have written to Swazi to provide constructive feedback and let them aware of the problem. They wrote back to me to say they were aware of this issue and were looking to improve the design. I have asked them to inform me of when they are intending to rectify this design fault and I might then consider buying another one.

My keeper friend has rectified the problem by gluing dry suit cuffs to the inside and he now swears by it. I haven't done this as yet but intend to. However, if you look at the price of them, making a self improvement isn't something I thought I would have to do.

Don't think Ray Mears has been out in bad weather in one of these either or else I can't see him recommending them!

I have bought 2 Nomad jackets and they are awesome quiet, well put together and excellent support from Phillip, jackets was amended to my exact requirements. Nice friendly guys and easy to deal with.

You wont be disapointed by the product and a damn good investment.

I have had the ridgeline smock since early this year, I got the matching trousers recently.

I hve not used it a huge amount, but have sat out in it in two very wet high seat sessions, and another very wet day here on a hillside a few weeks ago. I have been bone dry under it.

It is pretty light, and warm over a fleece. I have to say I think it is great.

To be honest, any coat that is really waterproof is going to make you sweat in warm weather, you just can't square that circle.

Back