WMS Steel Targets

nthor

Been to WMS again today (rained again :doh:)

Took my .243 but so windy used something bigger....:D:D

Anyway had a good day started off with check zero at 100m, then some at 200m then onto some round gongs at 380m.

So wind running 23mph 12o/c took a steel fox at 800m 2nd shot, then some more rounds on a gong, then we moved location and had some hits on a fig11 at 1000yrds shooting across a valley wind hitting 25mph 5o/c, had some fun here, see the target, in comes more rain...cant see the target, rain drops off a bit see the target, then cant see the target....:doh:

Final bit of fun, 1450yrds fig11 wind still up 25mph 3o/c this was going to be hard, well got there in the end and manged to get some hits. Long day but worth the drive...did a lot more shooting than above but this was the stretching bits.

Been to WMS again today (rained again :doh:)

Took my .243 but so windy used something bigger....:D:D

Anyway had a good day started off with check zero at 100m, then some at 200m then onto some round gongs at 380m.

So wind running 23mph 12o/c took a steel fox at 800m 2nd shot, then some more rounds on a gong, then we moved location and had some hits on a fig11 at 1000yrds shooting across a valley wind hitting 25mph 5o/c, had some fun here, see the target, in comes more rain...cant see the target, rain drops off a bit see the target, then cant see the target....:doh:

Final bit of fun, 1450yrds fig11 wind still up 25mph 3o/c this was going to be hard, well got there in the end and manged to get some hits. Long day but worth the drive...did a lot more shooting than above but this was the stretching bits.

Absolutely fantastic not to bad that's only a -1217 inchs drop without a 23/25mph wind, more like absolute fantasy I'd love to see that. what was you windage at that range with a 23/25 mph wind even with a .338 lap mag you'd have a problem in your conditions at that distance .

Last edited:
Andrews place is well worth a visit, ive been several times, usually, a group of us go.

It really helps practicing in "real world" conditions (across valley, steep incline, multiple trgets)

So when your faced with a parcel of hinds and a full magazine, it isnt quite as daunting.....

Andrews place is well worth a visit, ive been several times, usually, a group of us go.

It really helps practicing in "real world" conditions (across valley, steep incline, multiple trgets)

So when your faced with a parcel of hinds and a full magazine, it isnt quite as daunting.....

Yes looks like a Cracking area. But thats what we have up here every day, with the wind playing silly buggers with a the bullet across ravines and cliff faces caused by thermal draft/rise amongst other things .

And then the real challenge extracting the carcasses because you've been over zealous
forgetting where you are when you shot them . daunting to say the least .

Yes it was a 338 LM, AI AWM, and yes it was a problem

Elevation was 13.6 MIL with 5.8 wind, shots at 1450 were on and off, fire a shot see impact, compensate and fire next shot asap before wind changed, getting 3 from 5 hits, then miss a few then back on, like i said very hard.

If you go again ask John or Andrew to show you the stone with my name on it above the door to the tea room, John seen the AI put a small group in at 800, he was so surprised he used a stone to measure the size and then sprayed it white with my name and date.

The 338 is fun to shoot but having shot 150 of them yesterday my pocket is empty for a few weeks, but plan to go back again.

Back