Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 Aftermarket Stock

Tikka T3 Aftermarket Stock

Having seen the thread below. Does anyone know of any aftermarket stocks for a Tikka T3 (6.5x55). I have swapped the stock off my .223 recently for a Bell and Carlson stock which I bedded myself and know they do a stock for the Tikka which I can bed myself. But they also do a drop in stock which has an aluminium piece for the action to sit in, are they any good? Or are there any other makes of stock which wont cost me an arm and a leg. My reason for wanting to change is mainly because I get sick of the slippery feel of the standard T3 stock at the forend.

I use a Robertson stock on my Tikka T3 which is bedded..and only cost around 400quid from jackson rifles..im very happy with it...although would love a synthetic thumbhole stock for it but no one does them.

Mick

McMillan do stocks for the T3, as does Edi of this site. Check out Edi's stocks here: http://www.pse-composites.com/
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Robertson, Canada - Very nice, light weight but feels more solid and ridgid than the factory Tikka stock. There is a pic of it in my Gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyfinn View Post
    I use a Robertson stock on my Tikka T3 which is bedded..and only cost around 400quid from jackson rifles..im very happy with it...although would love a synthetic thumbhole stock for it but no one does them.

Mick
    I emailed Macmillan direct and they do a thumbhole stock for a T3. On the website it's the blue colour thumbhole.
    Around $480-$500 direct to your door as far as i can remember

Jonathon

Cheers buddy will have a look i spoke to them must be just over a yr and back then they didnt.

Mick

hi all,
    bit of a side step o the original topic but has anyone ever heard of filling the standard T3 stock with expanding foam to stiffen it and make the rifle more accurate ??? got told of this a while back but not tried it yet and wondered if anyone had any thoughts please
    all the best
    jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy milnes View Post
    hi all,
    bit of a side step o the original topic but has anyone ever heard of filling the standard T3 stock with expanding foam to stiffen it and make the rifle more accurate ??? got told of this a while back but not tried it yet and wondered if anyone had any thoughts please
    all the best
    jimmy
    It is very awkward and not very rewarding trying to improve a injection moulded plastic stock.
    The expanding foam can be used to fill the hollow of the butt area but that's about it. For the
    forend the foam is too weak to improve anything.
    There are just too many points that need improving on injection moulded stocks. for example
    these stocks are mostly quite small side on view as this keeps the machine clamping force down
    and production costs meaning ergonomics are not great. The materials need to be chemical,
    UV resistant and low cost, which doesn't leave much to choose from. Some engineering plastics
    like nylon will change their volume when moisture changes which is also not ideal. At the end of
    the day most cheaper injection moulding plastics will not have the performance one would want in a stock.
    Pressure exerted on action screws can lead to material slowly flowing and screw tension relaxes possible
    changing harmonics and POI changes.

One way of improving a plastic stock is to insert metall pillars, reinforce the forend with epoxy and layers
    of woven glass or carbon possibly in a sandwich style and also let the reinforcements run under the action
    up to about the mag well. Maybe also bed the stock while reinforcement is laid up. At least this will create
    a strong unit between front action screw, pillar, action, bottom metall and forend reinforcement.
    Down side is, weight increases somewhat and the bonding between plastic and epoxy is mostly not very strong.

edi

hi edi
    thanks very much for taking the time to post a reply, guess ill not bother with the foam it was just a quick fix kind of idea to try to improve things cheeply and all this bonding and metal pillars sounds to complicated for my damage it yaself skills, all in all im not a 3 in same hole sort of shooter and the rifle is accurate enough for what i do so ill leave it as is, once again many thanks
    jimmy

Rimfire magic has a couple of manners stocks on the shelves for t3 or did have couple of weeks ago,
    Great stock, still waiting for mine to land from over the pond as I had to order a lefty.