Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help what to do?

Help what to do?

HELP, What To Do?
    I've just noticed to my horror that my sauer .308 barrel seems to be pitted. It's my second rifle and doesnt get used as much as it should. I would say it's only fired a couple of hundred rounds and the rifle itself is like new, it's a 202 outback synthetic stock. What can I do, is it repairable or do I need a new barrel?
    Help please.
    Billy

Clean it then shoot it and see how it performs. Unless the pitting is really deep it will probably shoot just fine.

What Brit said! Some of my most accurate classic rifles have imperfect bores.~Muir

Thanks fellas, it's been cleaned ready for a few hours at the range, so fingers crossed. Will post the results in a day or two. Thanks again.

I had a barrel that was quite pitted, but the accuracy was .5". Only drama was cleaning took forever as it held a LOT of copper after a few rounds down it.

Sounds just what the Tubbs final finish system is for?

yes shoot it and see. where is the pitting at the crown end of the barrel ? have you been leaving the mod on it ? depending on how long the barrel is.
    if it donest shoot that well you could have the barrel chopped if the pitting isnt that far down the barrel

Mods tend to condensate when they cool down so in future store your rifle with the mod to the floor so any condensation runs out rather than down the barrel , therefore reducing the chance of pitting .

Quote Originally Posted by Monument veiw View Post
    Mods tend to condensate when they cool down so in future store your rifle with the mod to the floor so any condensation runs out rather than down the barrel , therefore reducing the chance of pitting .
    Or just simply take the mod off.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

SD Regular
    I had a Colt 1911 pistol the bore of which really did look like the inside of a drainpipe. Pitted but also dark brown with the rifling almost just showing in outline. It shot two inch groups at twenty yards, to the sight setting, offhand, all day and every day.

Worry what's inside the barrel after you've shot it at a target! You can't "undo" the pitting or add back what the years have taken away but, if it shoots well, who cares? Save that THIS TIME pay more attention to your cleaning and storage regime!