Thread: Alternative to DSC 1

Alternative to DSC 1

Hi, are there any alternative courses to the Dsc 1 that anyone knows of. I think I heard that there is some competition against the dsc, can only be a good thing, any thoughts?

Hi Mack

I have never heard of an alternative to the DSC 1. The BDS and BASC both run courses but they are virtually identical. The are both governed by DMQ and it is the only qualification recognised by organisations such as the Woodland Trust and the Forestry commission.
    Do you mind me asking why you think competition may be good and who do you feel may be better than BDS or BASC both in experience and for setting a base level for the qualification.
    I must admit that it does appear a little expensive but it is not until you go on the course that you realise what is involved and how much work actually goes into the 4 days.

Hi Mack

If you are in the Wilts/Glos area then Wilf at Country Pursuits in Cricklade (01793 751946), runs an alternative deer management course. It is recognised as a suitable qualification by the local police firearms departments. Most of the tuition is in the field rather than a classroom and you get to actually shoot, gralloch and butcher a deer - the main difference to the DSC1 I believe. It includes three stalks and therefore it may be more suitable for those who prefer practical rather than theoretical learning.

Cheers all

S

PS. I did it and learned loads - the guy is a fount of knowledge.

dsc

Thanks for the heads up snapper. I believe competition to the dsc would be healthy to give a bit of market competition for price and to stop this monopoly it has on police recognition. The bds and basc jumped on the money bandwagon with this course that amounts to a near compulsory qualification as far as some forces go. Some stalkers have no need to supply a game dealer with venison and either shoot for trophy or their own consumption. A yearly marksmanship and safety qualification would be far more suitable, that I would back.

A yearly marksmanship and safety qualification would be far more suitable, that I would back.

And just how much would you be willing to pay someone for this mack???

Hiring a MoD range is expensive these days and you have to be qualified and what would you say if you "forgot" to take the test and the police seized your rifles?

The DSC might not be the best way forward but right now its the only game in town.

Its only a near compulsory qualification cos we have let it become one! There is no requirement either in the firearms act or other legislature that demands it but we are so afraid to enforce our legal rights we let FEO's make it up as they go along.

Just my 2 cents worth

test

You make some valid comments Rangefinder. It would be preferable if we could police ourselves, local rifle clubs could hold this qualification, many stalkers are already members of such clubs. For those who are not perhaps our bodies such as BDS and BASC? Or even the Stalking Directory.
    The problem with firearms legislation is that it all lays it down in black and white but then adds that it can be interpreted by each Chief Constable! Post code lotteries and all that.

The difficulty for some is access to ranges, just to practice mack. I travel to Bisley, there are clubs nearer but when I wanted to "plink" and zero I couldn't because range time was up before everyone else had finished paper punching. The reason being was range time was so expensive, I think its close or over £400 for a mornin.

The RCO's course is quite expensive too.

The law is the law Mack don't matter where you live. I know very few good FEo's but I know a load of bad ones but thats another story

Perhaps the way forward is to have a Rabbit Management Qualification 1, before we can shoot rabbits and then a Rabbit Management Qualification 2 for gutting them once we've shot them so they can go into the food chain. Sorry I'm getting flippant.

Re: test

Quote Originally Posted by mack
    You make some valid comments Rangefinder. It would be preferable if we could police ourselves, local rifle clubs could hold this qualification, many stalkers are already members of such clubs. For those who are not perhaps our bodies such as BDS and BASC? Or even the Stalking Directory.
    The problem with firearms legislation is that it all lays it down in black and white but then adds that it can be interpreted by each Chief Constable! Post code lotteries and all that.
    mack,

What problem is out there that needs solving by introducing mandatory testing?

A yearly mandatory test would simply prove that on the given day you were at an acceptable standard. It means nothing a month later when the stalker goes out as he could be using different ammo, a different rifle, or scope, or shooting in radically different circumstances.

If we had major problems with stalkers ie a lot of firearm related "accidents" , then I could support this sort of thing, but the truth is we don't..

As a firearm owner I have enough hurdles to jump without the introduction of mandatory testing, testing which will only be used by the anti's/police to curtail the number of people with firearms..Imagine if a mandatory yearly driving test was proposed, there would be public uproar, but there is a far more convincing reasons for one of those than for a firearms one..

Regards,

Pete

Davie
    Well said Pete E its not time to police our selves its time to take stock and say we have done enough to prove we are safe and competent stalkers so fecking leave us a lone.

Pete E has it right, we do not need to think up other ways for the authorities to force some ridiculous annual testing on us, it is not needed or necessary. The safety record of the shooting community speaks for itself, it ain't broke so it don't need fixing.

They should maybe put more checks in place where they are needed, what about the Government departments that are always leaving computers and sensitive documents on trains and places like that. What about ensuring that criminals find it uncomfortable to go to prison and having to really pay for their crimes. How about realising that gun crime is committed by criminals with illegal weapons and that making things difficult for FAC holders will do nothing to affect this.

No matter how far forward the Government thinks it has moved it has not. It all comes down to making a show of winning votes, the sad thing is if they made a show of sorting out issues that really offend the general public and worried less about being PC in the eyes of mouthy minority groups they would win more bloody votes, and more importantly get peoples respect.

Sorry about that, but I feel a bit better.

John