Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .243 conversions

.243 conversions

ok, so in the endless pursuit of happines, I have now for no apparent reason started thinking about what I can do with my Sako 75 hunter once the barrel is shot out (.243)..

a. rebarrel

or.

b. modify to a different caliber in this case,, what is actually feasible. I've been thinking of either going 'up' to something like a 6.5x47 Lapua, or .260 (I think both a possible from this action), or even 'down' to something smaller for more of a foxing/vermin round.

This will be complemented to with a .30-06 btw, so going 'down' wouldn't mean giving up on the ability to shoot bigger deer species.

any thoughts?

ps. this will be purely for stalking purposes, so no target shooting or other such wasteful nonsense -

Re Barrel

Go for 6.5x47 you will never regret it,v accurate cheap to reload and will kill anything in the uk.Only downside is price of brass you will just have to shoot more beasts to compensate for price.

re-barrel in 6.5x47 you wont regret it

Righty ho then, apart from a smaller case and thus lower powder consumption, what are the benefits over the swede? does it deliver the same terminal performance on deer? is it overkill on fox? (yes yes yes, I know, you can't have 'too dead')

tell me more about the lapua as a hunting round please

oh, the 6.5x284 is that based on a long action? ie. I could not rebarrel a .243?....if so, the x47 would be the better choice, but on the other hand, why is the x47 better than the .243, are we basically not just sticking a 6.5mm bullet in a .243 case and generating lower MV?

talk to me lads!
    Last edited by PKL; 12-09-2011 at 14:42.

For deer go with a rebarrel in 260rem or 7/08, keep it simple and practical.

6.5x284 is in theory a short action case, but many short actions magazine won't accomodate the round once the long 6.5mm bullet is seated.

6.5x47 achieves it's velocity by running at higher pressures than the '08 based rounds - no free lunch there despite rumours to the contrary.

For foxing, you can rebarrel to 22/250, hard to do better than that.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

As Claret Dabbler says have a look at the 260 rem. You can get brass for it and it simular to the 6.5x47. Besided I think you can make the brass out of .243 brass or is it .308 brass no sure which way around it is? 6.5x284 is a bit of a barrel burner (I think it was along action but might be wrong). 6.5x47 is a high pressure high velocity round so will wear the barrel quicker than a 6.5x55 but will be flatter shooting.

Jase.

Account Suspended
    Of course you could consider going to 7-08Rem and move into a different class of versatility (from the .243) Probably best if you chose to do this that you also reload your own ammo, but not necessarily so.

Ooops, just noted C-D already said this... s'a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    ok, so in the endless pursuit of happines, I have now for no apparent reason started thinking about what I can do with my Sako 75 hunter once the barrel is shot out (.243)..
    Hmmm seeing as how with reasonable care a barrel should last around 5000 rounds I can only assume you must be at a loose end!

7-08 too big a step up, and too close to the aught-six. I was thinking of either going down to more of a varminting round, or 'slightly' up to a varminting/roe round that is flat shooting out to around 250 yds, but which is also good for slightly more thick-skinned beasts like sika or during the red hind/calf culls.

6.5x284 - i forgot, terrible barrel life, so scratch that idea.

maybe I should just stick with the .243, but I find the idea of a wildcat such as 6.5x47 or a 6.5 creedmoor intriguing as they might perform a bit better on sika and hinds/calves, whilst delivering flat trajectories for varminting out to 300yds or so.

oh why oh why is there so much d@mn choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Hmmm seeing as how with reasonable care a barrel should last around 5000 rounds I can only assume you must be at a loose end!
    Aye, very true. IMO only people such as deer park cullers, pro stalkers etc might fire enough bullets to wear a gun out.