Thread: 6.5-06 A Square

6.5-06 A Square

6.5mm bullet in an Aught-Six case - sounds wild! anyone here ever shot this round? could you AI it and get a super-wildcat?

Account Suspended
    Hang on a minute!

You dismissed 6.5-284 out of hand as a barrel burner (which is really just a relative term and not that big a deal in a normal recreational stalker's rifle, I should know I have one) and now you want to "soup-up" the exact same case volume and near identical performance i.e. go for a 6.5-06 AI.

Making no sense PKL.

If you want a hot 6.5 get the 6.5-284, otherwise your more sensible choice is the 6.5x55 swede.

Other more extreme but accessible options are .264win mag and 6.5x68

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Hang on a minute!

You dismissed 6.5-284 out of hand as a barrel burner (which is really just a relative term and not that big a deal in a normal recreational stalker's rifle, I should know I have one) and now you want to "soup-up" the exact same case volume and near identical performance i.e. go for a 6.5-06 AI.

Making no sense PKL.

If you want a hot 6.5 get the 6.5-284, otherwise your more sensible choice is the 6.5x55 swede.

Other more extreme but accessible options are .264win mag and 6.5x68
    no mate, just wanting to 'know' more about it for the fun of it, won't be getting one!

about half way between 25/06 and .270. I doubt if it will do any thing the others won't. Unfortunately all the good ones have been thought of, only my opinion of course!

Forget .264"/6.5mm even if it's good if you want something exotic.................. go .280"/7mm .

I have a nice PTG 280AI finishing reamer with Forster 280 Rem head space gauges, only used once to open up a 7x64 chamber , that you could use have the reamer and Go gauge in hand the No go is put away... Hmmm have to find where I put that one and the 303 gauges

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    no mate, just wanting to 'know' more about it for the fun of it, won't be getting one!
    Ok then, The 6.5 A square is an '06 case derivative that equates to 6.5-284 case volume and internal surface area but generally requires to be operated at slightly lower pressures than the .284 case family. However, the difference in bullet performance is probably next to nil as far as deer stalking is concerned. The '06 case tends to feed into the chamber better but the .284 case has the reputation of greater intrinsic accuracy. Frankly, 6.5 is a very fine choice of calibre for all British deer and the hotter versions shoot plenty flat to any range you're likely to wish to shoot deer at.

Incidentally I've fired many rounds (c.a. 700) through my 6.5. The throat and bore are still immaculate. Careful cleaning of a good quality barrel seems to be the way to do it. I used a Sako finnbear action as the basis for mine and it has a 24" barrel. Also, I use heavy for calibre bullets 140grain and up. Check your ballistics tables and you'll find heavy for calibre 6.5's with sensible launch velocities (i.e. from bigger cases) and decent B.C.'s have amazingly flat trajectories that prove to have very similar muzzle energy/velocity to same weight 7mm options but consequently better BC's. This equates to flatter shooting and compensates when/if you underestimate that 200yd shot. Which, in my experience, is an all too easy thing to do if you're not toting a rangefinder. Having said that I shoot quite a lot and maybe only shoot out to greater than 200yds a handful of times in any given year (with my stalking rifles).
    Last edited by Tamus; 13-09-2011 at 10:35. Reason: added more blurb

I have been shooting 6.5-06 for about 25 years and have built several for other folks. For a few folks it was a favorite "wildcat" for antelope in New Mexico. The main draw then (and possibly now) is that Hornady used to offer it as a standard die set, and data was listed in the Hornady manual. I would not improve it as it is a over bore capacity as it stands. Winchester 30-06 bras was a one-pass reforming job and the two Clymer reamers I've had required no neck turning for fit. All of them were accurate. I still have one with a Douglas barrel built on a remodeled 1909 Argentine Mauser action. Hope to finish the new stock I made for it someday!~Muir

Pah! Go for 7mm! Its the future! Regarding wildcats and less common calibres, I've been thinking about (only thinking, not buying!) a 7-300, ie 300WM necked down to a 7mm bullet, bit like a 7 rem mag on steroids.. Not so common here but a very capable round. Saying that, my 7mm08 is doing wonders and as a calibre, I really like it!