Travelling to Ireland with Firearms

Chris Rob

Next year I will have the opportunity to travel to Ireland to shoot there, as a friend is re-locating shortly.

I know I will need to show a European Firearms Pass & possibly my Firearms & Shotgun Certificates at the airport (flying with Aer Lingus).

Does anyone know what else will be required to enter Ireland?

beerchug.gif

Chris

Ireland

You need a deer hunting licence. Get in touch with the firearms officer at the nearest Garda station to your destination and he/she should be very helpfull. You will need to send them a 38 euros bankers draft to apply for the hunting licence. And your EFP. They do not accept sterling. You can download an application form online. Google 'Ireland deer hunting application form.' You also need to put the name of the stalker you are going out with and where you will be staying as I remember.

All the best

Willie

`Willies` info is DUFF.

The hunting licence which is free comes from :-

The National Parks and Wildlife Services,
Agricultural Offices,
Main Street,
Ballybay, Co. Monaghan.
Tel. 042 9748748.
You will need to enclose a current copy of a letter of permission from the landowner or who-ever holds the shooting rights.

The rifle permit comes from the Garda Station nearest to where you will be hunting and costs 38 euros.
They will need your Euro Firearms Pass also.
A copy of the shooting permission could be added to back up your application.

You will have problems with Stena Line as they will not allow you to take your own ammo.
It is easier to use a friends rifle over there !!!

HWH.

Hi Chris, if you are going to send off for a hunting licence allow plenty of time. I applied for one some years back and it didn't arrive in time for my trip, trying to get a refund and my EFP from them took ages as well. I'd try and telephone them and no-one answered, reminded me of that sketch with the ringing phone in the empty room (just can't remember who did it!).
It appears that they send off a letter to the land-owner/person accompanying you and then just wait - if they don't get a reply it doesn't seem to jog them into doing anything else so the 'required by' date on the form doesn't appear to mean a thing.

Last year the local Police at Holyhead confiscated my companions hunting knife and took into custody the ammo. which Stena Line refused to carry.
The knife was recovered after much hassle when we returned.

HWH.

stenna will carry ammo but only on there slow boats ,they should have not taken your friends knife is it was put away well enough ,there is no problem bringing firearms into the country .i had guys and gals out in wicklow with 308,6.5x284,270,7x61,300 win mags ,338. from the uk and denmark .its not like 20 years ago .

I have just got back from a stalking trip to ROI.

Apply for a Deer Hunting License first (it takes the longest to arrive), send the application with a letter of permission a ranger checks it out before they grant it

Apply for a european firearms pass at the same time, it come back without a hitch

Then send that (EFP) to the nearest Garda station to where you are going with an application for a Non Resident Firearms Permit (allow 6 weeks) a bankers draft will cost you £20.00!!!!! we sent 40 euros cash registered and asked the Garda to donate the extra 2 euros to charity which they did.

Knives

Make sure your knife is stowed in the boot, not in the passenger compartment, we were allowed in but nearly got arrested as it was in the cab.

Guns & ammo, we travelled Stena (slow boat) no probelems taking both, tell them you are carrying and you get preferential treatment, they take the car keys off you on the ferry.

Thats it

We went by the fast ferry last year.
My own hunting knife with bone saw etc. was in my camera bag and not declared.
I do not see why they should act in a different manner on the slow ferry with the same company regarding rifles and ammo.
I had less trouble with firearm movement in the `bad old days` of small rifle calibres.

HWH.

stag1933 said:
We went by the fast ferry last year.
My own hunting knife with bone saw etc. was in my camera bag and not declared.
I do not see why they should act in a different manner on the slow ferry with the same company regarding rifles and ammo.
I had less trouble with firearm movement in the `bad old days` of small rifle calibres.

HWH.
i would think its down to paper pushers Hubert,the fast craft boats are aluminum hulls and they think our ammo might blow up in them .also its easy to get to the car decks thats why we are not allowed to carry ammo on the fast boats .the less information they have the better ,only answer there questions . regards to you

Back