Thread: Drag sling

Drag sling

My father had some of these made up some years ago but I thought I would alter it slightly for a better packed shape

made from car seat belts. You can get these for free from any scrap yard as they have no commercial value.

Make sure you pull the belt right out before cutting it. Ideally you want one long length rather than two short ones.

get busy with the sewing machine or get someone else to put two large loops in it almost meeting in the centre, larger the better to go over coats etc.

then stitch the centre section into another small loop, just enough to put a thin rope through. You could stitch in a metal or plastic loop/ring if you wanted but it works just the same without and cuts down on size when rolled up.
    use plenty of thread, preferably nylon for strength and anti rot nature.
    if you keep all the straps flat and not twisted it packs away flat

one over each shoulder, rope to item to be dragged, leaves hands free to use sticks and really put your back into it.

packs away into an apple sized unit. oh..and its free!

What happens when your beast starts to roll???
    GT

When old Dolly Munro taught me to drag deer he would not allow a rope over your shoulder. Rope deer's head, Half hitch onto a stout hazel Both hands behind holding the stick and head south. Why? Rope over one shoulder, your back twists under weight. Deer rolls / slide opposite to the shoulder taking the strain you can't get it off and you are falling into the path of the deer. You are better ballanced then bit like a tripod with deer as third leg. You are using your weight rather than pure muscle. Like many of the older generation my hill days were pre-quads. a two mile drag was about normal, often going back for a second beast. The idea of dragging with a closed loup should be written up in your risk assessment. Jim
    Last edited by jimbo123p; 13-09-2011 at 12:35. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse Track View Post
    What happens when your beast starts to roll???
    GT
    thats when the other sling comes in handy
    preferably attached to someone!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    When old Dolly Munro taught me to drag deer he would not allow a rope over your shoulder. Rope deer's head, Half hitch onto a stout hazel Both hands behind holding the stick and head south. Why? Rope over one shoulder, your back twists under weight. Deer rolls / slide opposite to the shoulder taking the strain you can't get it off and you are falling into the path of the deer. You are better ballanced then bit like a tripod with deer as third leg. You are using your weight rather than pure muscle. Like many of the older generation my hill days were pre-quads. a two mile drag was about normal, often going back for a second beast. The idea of dragging with a closed loup should be written up in your risk assessment. Jim
    100% in agreement, seen plenty people using a closed loop to drag, also seen what can go wrong, a brow tine buried in the ghillies buttock, no a short rope and stick for me

In 20 years and pulling god knows how many red stags and hinds for hundreds of miles I can honestly say I have never been pulled over by a rolling animal or had a tine, brow or otherwise in my buttock.
    There are normally two people pulling anyway. attached to head and forelegs, they cant roll that way. two people weigh more than any stag.

I have seen people slip and fall face down when pulling with both hands behind them though.
    If you are leaning into the pull holding the stick and have neither hands nor walking stick to balance with or break your fall you go down quickly, too quick to let go and break your fall with your hands....personally I find that a more dangerous situation than one posed by any loop.

but each to their own style

I think both methods are potentially dangerous, but what can you do apart from be careful. I use a belt loop and rope over one shoulder on steep ground and only put it across my chest on flatter ground.

There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    I bought one almost identical to this from Ritchies in Grantown-On-Spey about 15 years ago. It cost a tenner and still going strong.

And because I'm a grown up and semi-sensible, I take it off when reaching a downhill part of a drag and pull with my hands!!!

what you have never let a dead animal pull you over a cliff or stab you in the arse with it's antler?!
    surely you must be unusually careful!?