• Schmidt and Bender Classic Variable Power 3-12x50

11 26.83%
  • Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50

10 24.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New scope decisions

New scope decisions

2 questions I'm pondering:

1) Which scope would you go for... hence the poll above?
    2) Is there a significant difference between 1" and 30mm? I have 1" rings already and it would save a few pennies not to fork out for new rings.

Thanks,

Stig

SD Regular
    ...no poll active my friend.....

The difference between 25mm and 30mm will largely be the amount of movement you can get for windage and elevation in your reticle. Nothing noticable in the amount of light getting to your eye...
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 13-09-2011 at 13:21. Reason: additional info
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Thanks Eric - Poll had to come second for some reason... done!

SD Regular
    Got to be honest, there's nothing to separate these scopes in general. All premium glass manufacturers and you won't be sorry with any of them.
    My three defining choices at this point would then be: parallax correction (I don't think any of these have AO?), choice of reticle (style and whether illuminated) and price.

If pressed on these - Swarovski. Why? I have their glass already and so know what to expect. Customer service second to none. Resale value - excellent.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    and price
    They're all a smidgeon under a grand apart from the Duralyte... and I just can't help thinking the Duralyte might be as good for my needs and thus why waste an extra 400 (or could get an illuminated ret Duralyte - but I've never used or necessarily wanted one)

The Zeiss Diavari from your list or this for 895:

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/optics/5301.htm

I would not buy the Z3 or the Duralyt.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    The Zeiss Diavari from your list or this for 895:

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/optics/5301.htm

I would not buy the Z3 or the Duralyt.
    Brian as always hits the nail on the head - I wouldn't buy any of the scopes you've chosen, but that wasn't your question! Nothing wrong with them, per se, just not where my personal preference lies.

Curious why x42 rather than x50 (I have Leupold 3-9 x 50 currently as most of my shooting is in the woods)... if a 42mm objective lens from Swaro will exceed light gathering performance of my existing scope then all the better...

is the Z6 significantly better than the Z3?

Stig, I suggested the 42mm Z6 just because Gregor has them at the right price. I bought a 2-12x50 from him last year in the same spec for around 950, I would have suggested that but he has none left. I might buy one of those 42's some of these days myself.

For a general purpose stalking scope, the 42mm Z6 will be excellent, keep the mag at around 7x and it will be more than good enough for any woodland or low light stalking, and a country mile better than a Leupold. It will also be much lighter than the S&B or the Zeiss and leave your rifle with better handling characteristics.

The Swaro Z3 and the Duralyt are lesser scopes, with all respect to anyone who owns one, if you are going to spend that sort of dough, get your money's worth.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Stig, I suggested the 42mm Z6 just because Gregor has them at the right price. I bought a 2-12x50 from him last year in the same spec for around 950, I would have suggested that but he has none left. I might buy one of those 42's some of these days myself.

For a general purpose stalking scope, the 42mm Z6 will be excellent, keep the mag at around 7x and it will be more than good enough for any woodland or low light stalking, and a country mile better than a Leupold. It will also be much lighter than the S&B or the Zeiss and leave your rifle with better handling characteristics.

The Swaro Z3 and the Duralyt are lesser scopes, with all respect to anyone who owns one, if you are going to spend that sort of dough, get your money's worth.

or just buy a 6x42 S&B hungary for 400 ish