Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heres One For You ...

Heres One For You ...

I have a GWP bitch who recently has started rolling in crap of some sort dont know what it is but it stinks lol my wife has gone out to night its that bad, tried to wash it off ...temp soloution its just made it worse has anyone else experienced this ...

In my experience some dogs do this and some don't. Depending on who you listen to the basis for doing this has several theories but the most likely to my mind are both hunt related. To either disguise their own smell so as to make it easier to hunt another animal or to show off to other members of the pack that they have found food (although I have never seen them eat it, only roll in it).
    What may smell awful to you obviously does not smell bad to them and again in my experience getting a dog who does this to stop is not easy if not nigh impossible. Your right, a quick wash usually makes it worse and it really needs the full treatment to get rid but this can take you back to square one as the dog may well not like the smell of dog shampoo and very quickly find some other foul thing to roll in.
    In nearly 40 years of owning dogs I have only had two who regularly rolled in crap. Others have done so but not on a regular basis. A Border Collie who loved rolling in the soft crap coming from very young calves (not a hunting dog but herding is based on hunting) and my present BMH who mainly will find field mice or dead frogs and roll on them but he is prone to rolling in other things as well.
    Avoidance is a solution but you will never know where a dog just may find a tempting, foul smelling delicacy to roll in.
    Kennels are a wonderful thing.

As Gassa says, but I think most dogs will do it, some wll do it occasionally others on a regular basis, all my GSP's will if given the chance.

While it is offencive to us it is natural to the dog, and you will find it very difficult to stop them, I can stop mine if I catch them in the act but that does not stop them doing it as soon as they are out of my sight.

Sorry not much help I know.

My dogs goes nuts for fox/cow/horse poo. If this is fox poo, one trick which gets the worst of the smell out pretty well is to rub the 'perfumed' area of the dog with plenty ketchup, and let it dry for a bit, then wash the ketchup/fox-chanel off with dog shampoo. It still leaves a faint aroma, but nowhere near as bad as before.

The only way to get the smell out of the collar is to burn it. It will depend on your mood whether you take it off the bloody dog or not first.

Account Suspended
    I've a 5 month old pup who does this at the moment... but he doesn't much care for a brisk shampooing.

Answer that seems to be working is, he rolls in something smelly (last time it was a very ripe cow's cleaning) and all stops, then it's into the back of the pick-up and straight home for an early bath and kennel. I think he's already starting to get the message that if he rolls in something I don't want him to the party's over and I also notice him now looking at me first, when he finds an appealing thing to roll in.

The "leave it!" command is begining to sink in too.

Of course this approach probably only works if you're totally focused on the dog's activity and respond immediately and consistently, as ever.

Every day's a school day with dogs...

I live right next to the Nene so it's the customary 4-mile morning walk up and down both banks.

It must be the coarse-fishing season now because there's often a discarded dead carp which didn't survive the weekend competition 'photo session. They do stink, and the dogs are rolling on this glutinous oily mess in no time. Fisherman's revenge!

I grab 'em, holler at them, and swing them out by the collar straight into the deepest part of the river. If the RSPCA ever witnessed this I'd be be banged up for life, but shock tactics do seem to work IF you punish them straightaway.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    I live right next to the Nene so it's the customary 4-mile morning walk up and down both banks.

It must be the coarse-fishing season now because there's often a discarded dead carp which didn't survive the weekend competition 'photo session. They do stink, and the dogs are rolling on this glutinous oily mess in no time. Fisherman's revenge!

I grab 'em, holler at them, and swing them out by the collar straight into the deepest part of the river. If the RSPCA ever witnessed this I'd be be banged up for life, but shock tactics do seem to work IF you punish them straightaway.
    Punishment!!!

Oooh! tut! tut!. You know yourself that's not good, or you wouldn't have made the RSPCA comment.

"Operant Conditioning", uses negative punishment. It works... especially when used along with "Classical Conditioning" and "bridge" techniques. You'll get a happy willing partner not an obedient slave that has to be afraid of you. It all takes effort though. Sometimes an awful lot of effort and personal restraint.

Whereas flinging them in the water seems quick and easy it's really just lazy and ultimately unhelpful.

Lecture over, class dismissed.

Depending on the character of Sinistral's dogs they might not look on being thrown in the water as punishment at all. I have two spaniels that would probably delight in this game but as a deterrent against rolling in crap I doubt it would have the slightest effect. I doubt very much if you could ever train or punish a dog into stopping rolling in crap. IMO all you may achieve is making them more sly in how they go about it.
    Dogs cannot reason therefore the early bath and bed method will mean nothing to a dog either.
    IMO rolling in crap is as natural to some dogs as wagging their tails.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Depending on the character of Sinistral's dogs they might not look on being thrown in the water as punishment at all. I have two spaniels that would probably delight in this game but as a deterrent against rolling in crap I doubt it would have the slightest effect. I doubt very much if you could ever train or punish a dog into stopping rolling in crap. IMO all you may achieve is making them more sly in how they go about it.
    Dogs cannot reason therefore the early bath and bed method will mean nothing to a dog either.
    IMO rolling in crap is as natural to some dogs as wagging their tails.
    What was that?

Dogs have many inherent instincts and behavioural traits that must be controlled, modified, encouraged or discouraged for the sake of a harmonious and (in the case of working dogs) productive relationship with their owners and how this is acheived is always open to discussion. Rolling in things is only one behaviour, chasing things in an uncontrollable manner is another and is one of the most troublesome. They can all be worked on to improve the outcomes and some MUST be worked on.

Are you really saying you can't train a dog?
    Last edited by Tamus; 14-09-2011 at 19:16. Reason: speelin

I think both these views make sense.

My reasoning is that they're going into the water one way or another to wash off the gloop. Chucking them in bodily at least makes me feel better.
    The risk of a ducking now makes them hesitate, but I couldn't honestly claim that they think twice about doing it.