Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ticks

ticks

hi the wife rang me at work today said that my oldest daughter had found a tick on her arm, leave it alone i says i will sort it out when i get home. just got home and went at it with my tick removal thingy. well it seems that the little bleeders head has stayed put while the body came away. can anyone please tell me how to get the head off, please and thanks. the scudd

Antiseptic under a plaster, skin gets soft and the antiseptic helps reduce the small infection that could result.

Scudd,

Caveat everything by saying it's your child, so do what you believe you should. Secondly tick bites should be taken seriously, because of the gravity should things go wrong BUT chance of things going that way is VERY small.

The tick head may contain bacteria or cause some other reaction if left in place. Current advice is that it should be removed. However achieving that completely and keeping everything sterile - and not least causing discomfort - can be tricky. It can be done with a fine needle/tweezers and suitable antiseptic, but doing it for the first time on a child is probably not ideal! Depends how deeply embedded, location and how deft you are. I have seen a solder sucker used - but unsurprisingly it doesnt get a mention on any medical websites.

I know it sounds over dramatic - and arguably it is, but if in any doubt then I would take a trip to A & E and get them to treat it there. Trying to write this without trying to make it a drama or worry you - because it isnt and there is no need to worry. Go the A & E route and stay worry free.

You havent asked and I realise many people now fully switched on to tick issue - so not a lecture. But for those not familiar, a close eye needs to be kept on the bite site for the next few days and any sign of inflamation and partiucularly any circular rash/ discolouration should prompt an immediate trip to the docs regardless.

BADA UK website is useful reading for all who are likely to encounter ticks.

Hope you get sorted ok.

Just for interest, I always use alcohol to kill a tick before attempting removal....& so far in my case, so good.
    Usually, a liberal dousing with aftershave, allowing a good five mins or more for the tick to die, does the trick, then fine tweezers pressed home as hard as possible nearest to the head (buried of course), a gentle tweek & success!

Others I'm sure will have their own methods, but I think it's important the tick is dead, allowing it's jaws to relax & be open prior to extraction.
    Cheers,
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

When removing a tick always turn in anti clockwise as you twist it out this way you get it all out. This the way i do it on my terrier. But as Oak leaf says A&E may be the way forard in this caes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    Just for interest, I always use alcohol to kill a tick before attempting removal....
    If you had no other method then ok, but it's not 'best practice' and its suggested the killing of them MAY cause regurgitation and more transmission of infection.

Quote Originally Posted by oakleaf View Post
    I know it sounds over dramatic - and arguably it is, but if in any doubt then I would take a trip to A & E and get them to treat it there.
    On the whole they haven't got a clue. Know of a chap went to hospital with something else, they found a tick and attempted removal, but left mouthparts in. Had to remove them surgically at a later date because of the mess they made.

Quote Originally Posted by the scudd View Post
    got home and went at it with my tick removal thingy. well it seems that the little bleeders head has stayed put while the body came away
    What were you using? The O'tom tick remover has never failed to remove the complete tick for me.

Obviously if you are worried consult a doctor but in this case I would apply an astringent such as magnesium sulphate ointment and see if that will soften the skin and draw it out (does work on splinters too).

Boots magnesium sulphate paste - 50g - Boots

Apache

Good points. Had thought - and then forgot to type - about location. Knowledge of Docs ( read any medical staff ) varies with how often ( if ever ) they deal with ticks.

The O Tom is the Bada recommended tool and standard carry for me - usually goof proof - and I rank myself waaay up on the goof index!

Get a large syringe, place the pointy end over the tick (obviously without the needle attached) and pull the plunger.

Works on blackheads too
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Get some Magnesium Sulphate Paste from the chemists mate, apply it on the area and cover with a plaster, it will draw whatever out usually used for splinters, but will also draw out any infection.

Anyone know where I can get a large syringe? Serious question cos I went to the Chemist in Sains..... and they gave me a 10ml one and told me it was ilegal to sell me anything bigger. Do I look like I go a coke habit I said????? still refused and I'm still without my large syringe