Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: borrowing a rifle

borrowing a rifle

i have a bit of a problem. on my fac i have the use of all my dads guns in which he has the use of myn but i have sold my 308 and have a open slot for a new one but being 17 years old i canot have a gun from rfd but i was wondering what the rules are on borrowing one from a friend

can't be done
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

That's an interesting one.

I think you can actually 'borrow' a firearm from your friend - provided of course that your FAC is varied to list said rifle. Although, as you rightly say, you can't yet purchase, (or hire), a rifle in your own right, there appears to be a means within the Firearms Act that allows you to borrow - which in essence is what you are already doing when you use your father's firearms.

Here's the relevant section from the Home Office Guidance that you can quote when making your application for a variation - standard Form 101 but not all sections need completing:

7.15 A person under seventeen is
    prohibited by section 22 of the 1968 Act
    from purchasing or hiring any firearm or
    ammunition defined by sections 57(1) and
    (2) of that Act, or as defined by section 1
    of the 1982 Act (readily convertible
    replicas). This includes convertible imitation
    firearms, smooth-bore guns, air weapons,
    shot cartridges, blank ammunition and pellets
    for air weapons. There are ways that they
    can legitimately acquire (for example, by
    accepting these as a gift or by borrowing)
    the firearms and ammunition exempted from
    sections 1 and 2 of the 1968 Act (that is, air
    weapons not declared specially dangerous),
    but their possession of them is limited in
    the ways indicated in paragraphs 7.2 to
    7.4. They may also acquire other than by
    purchase or hire
    , firearms or ammunition to
    which section 1 of the 1968 Act applies,
    providing that they are in possession of a
    valid firearm certificate which applies to the
    firearms or ammunition concerned

Of course the Firearms (Amendment) Regulations 2010 have modified the above to make the new age for purchase of Firearms 18 years of age instead of 17, which is applicable to you.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Orion; 16-09-2011 at 09:22.

if i borrow the rifle dose it have to be added on my fac eg fill the space for the 308

Quote Originally Posted by boar & deer View Post
    if i borrow the rifle dose it have to be added on my fac eg fill the space for the 308
    Yes. Which is why you must apply for a one-for-one variation - which is free - on the standard form. You must not just enter the new 'borrowed' rifle details on your FAC without getting that authority from your police FLD first.

It might be an idea to download and study the HO Guidance which is linked from the stickie at the head of this forum section - Chapter 7 deals with Young Persons - as there is also a requirement for anyone 'gifting' a firearm to a young person to also notify the police. It's probably best to enquire with your own FLD about this but I suspect that both you and your friend will be required to notify them once it is entered onto your certificate.
    Last edited by Orion; 16-09-2011 at 11:40.

Orian has it right, my grandson now 18 but has had a FAC for more than a year, he does not own a rifle but all my rifles are on his ticket.

He has no cabinet so rifles are always kept at my address, when he collects a rifle from me I need to enter ammo to his ticket then return it to mine on his return, a bit of nuisance but nothing we cant cope with.

It can be done
    I have two rifles on my FAC neither of which is mine.

I have had an FAC from the earliest age possible (I seem to recall 14 but as I have had it over 20years am not sure what the law was back then) and had my father's 270 and 22 listed on it.
    They are both still on it.

if you are borrowing the same calibre from someone else it is no different to you selling one rifle and purchasing another. i.e one for one free variation.

I am intrigued though. you said "you" sold the 308. was it yours or your father's?

Ok so it can be done with a variation to get the rifle on your ticket.... but that's not really borrowing, that's shared ownership (regardless of who payed for the rifle) I can't just borrow my mate's rifle in the same way I can his shotgun.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

no that is borrowing.
    you are neither the legal keeper or the owner.
    If you wish to take that rifle out without it's owner it needs to be on your FAC.

otherwise, bring your mate

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I am intrigued though. you said "you" sold the 308. was it yours or your father's?
    Exactly what's been puzzling me?