Thread: BASC DSC 1 Course

BASC DSC 1 Course

Just did my DSC Level 1 course last weekend with BASC at Trochry, Scotland. I feel it was a great course with very knowledgeable instructors that were very much real live stalkers (as opposed to book knowledge lecturers). Donald, James and Kenny gave a lively presentation with lots of advise and good banter going around. Regretfully I failed the knowledge part, but through no fault of them, just didn't do sufficient preparation. We were with a group of 11 and had lots of fun during the days (and evenings) and I really appreciated the overal set-up and the way everything was handled. There is a lot of BASC bashing going on for reasons I don't understand, but everybody their own, just feel the need to highlight a very positive experience. Cheers, Rene.

Tough luck. I'm just pleased that at the minute I don't need to show I have it.

There's a lot in there. Deer identification etc - right now I need to know if a Roe has a downward pointy white tuft on its backside or not and that's about it. I have looked at going through the assessment part only myself, I can bang out the right answers on the DVD set but it's of no benefit to me.

Do you have to resit the lot or just the bits you failed?

BASC bashing - the BASC have their own good practie guides on deer etc, and the DSC is run by a different organisation.

You only need to resit the parts you failed. I'm quite happy I passed the shooting test after having to use a right-handed rifle after two years abstinence! Cheers, Rene.

Quote Originally Posted by snowstorm

There's a lot in there. Deer identification etc - right now I need to know if a Roe has a downward pointy white tuft on its backside or not and that's about it.
    c'mon snowstorm
    you've been drinking now ain't you
    what if a roe buck that has just cast both his antlers is standing straight on
    looking at you sniffing the air, how would you tell as you can't see his butt?
    would you shoot it as a doe or not
    atleast be honest as there is no shame in that

ReneZ, sorry to hear you did not manage to get your Level 1, and I wish you much success the next time round.

I am afraid these exams have been introduced and we must live with them, although I am in favour of Level 1 as a good bench mark for stalkers, I still do not fully agree with Level 2. Having just helped a friend with one of his deer to be signed off, the amount of questions that I had to ask him knowing he was perfectly capable seemed an insult to the man's inteligence and abilities.

Rules and paper work seem to rule our lives these days, and experience for me will ALWAYS count for more than any piece of paper, despite what some of the new school stalkers think.

Quote Originally Posted by stone
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstorm

There's a lot in there. Deer identification etc - right now I need to know if a Roe has a downward pointy white tuft on its backside or not and that's about it.
    c'mon snowstorm
    you've been drinking now ain't you
    what if a roe buck that has just cast both his antlers is standing straight on
    looking at you sniffing the air, how would you tell as you can't see his butt?
    would you shoot it as a doe or not
    atleast be honest as there is no shame in that
    In all honesty? I'd wait until it turned around to see what it was. In any event I doubt I'm a good enough shot to hit the neck face on.

Mind you, we do have tree damage issues, and a lot of empty tree protectors, plus some serious regeneration to get going so we need to keep the population down so if the numbers don't match up then gender's a different matter and it becomes a management rather than a freezer issue!

Having said that, I hope the next one I see is a doe so I'm not placed in that position.

It's not easy when you have no-one to tell you what you can't shoot. The buck stops here (so to speak!).

Good one!

I appreciate that experience is more worth than a piece of paper. Had I more experience I might have passed the test more easily (or if I ensured I knew the answers to the 300 questions), but in order to be able toi get experience a lot of places require a DSC1 before you get in. We've covered the risk-assessment considerations in other posts. I'm OK with it as coming in from abroad nobody knows you and can vote for your experience (you need to be here for two years as well!)

As a newby part of it was to get in contact with others and get a feel for what it is all about. That part worked well!

So I had a lot of direct and indirect benefit, which is OK by me. Just should have spent a bit more quality time with the book - my fault.

Now looking forward to get it done (Dec 18) and go forward again. It will be great to be in a position to get my rifle out of Canada and make good use of it (just need to get the .308 on my license!).

Cheers and good hunting, Rene.

How long to go before you've been here two years?

Still an issue even with your hunter's licence and training from Canada??

Yeah, no consideration. I was here two years October 9th, so am ramping up the efforts to get it organised now. Just to find an opportunity to request a FAC and get a .308 on her. Any advise on that, without having stalking available to me? Cheers, Rene.