Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to break in new waterproof clothing, i.e. get rid of chemical smells!

How to break in new waterproof clothing, i.e. get rid of chemical smells!

I have just purchased a new waterproof suit, all is great it fits despite buying by online!

Buy how do I rid it of its horrible chemical newness?!? Formalin or whatever it is? I can wear it a bit outside, but I am off stalking soon. I do not really want to wash it either. The deer will smell the 'showroom' a mile off.

If you get deer down wind of you even in the nude your game is up !!!
    More smell from your shampoo soap etc so little to worry about your new waterproof if your caught up wind !!

True, wind is all important, but I always thought it better to hedge my bets by smelling less. Perhaps it is just superstition, and it is better to work harder at always being downwind?

You can fool their eyesight sometimes, you can fool their hearing sometimes, but you will never fool their sense of smell

The human scent is strong and wild animals have an inbuilt fear of it, get down wind.

dont worry about the smell of your clothing you must stay down wind of your quarry I uasd to smoke a pipe then cigars it made no differance to the deer and told me the wind direction.I gave up when I could not keep up with others on the hill,now I carry smoke in a bottle (much healthier)

Evening! after a days stalking i wash my gear as normal in soap powder etc and two days before a stalk i wash my gear in washing machine with NO powder a all on a light wash to rinse through my wardribe sent, it may seem crazy but we all have our own ways PMSL.

Hang it on a line outside, even let a little rain get on it. It wont hurt and it will dissipate that new smell.

I bought a Harkila Kodiak suit at 500 and never used it for shooting as it makes me sick, never mind the quarry.....

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    I bought a Harkila Kodiak suit at 500 and never used it for shooting as it makes me sick, never mind the quarry.....
    Make me sick if I spent 500 on a suit I couldn't wear !!!

Not only does it stink of something, everything in that wardrobe now stinks of Harkila chemical company too....
    Last edited by RED-DOT; 17-09-2011 at 14:22.