Thread: Food Heaven

Food Heaven

OMG! I have just discovered how to get to food heaven! Although I like liver I have somewhat resisted doing anything with the liver from a deer I have shot. That changed this evening and I now have a whole family of converts including my wife and all the kids from three years old to three teenagers!

Fried up a homegrown onion with some bacon lardons, smoked by a friend, then added some thinly sliced liver coated with flour, salt and coarsely ground pepper. Removed it from the pan so as to not overcook it and added some stock to the pan. Reduced the sauce to thicken it then popped the liver back in.

Reluctantly everyone tried a bit and then they all wanted some as well!

No wonder the delights of venison liver have been such a closely guarded secret. If, like me, you haven't been brave enough to try it or think it will be like that leathery stuff you were served up as a child, think again. Wow.

I love the liver,so,no-one gets any bar me.......lol

Pre rut liver is real mellow , but rut stuff is a little stronger ! Well I find that anyway , send your recipes to Basil's new food site, or better still put on Recipes this site its easier to trawl!
    Trapper

My 3 year old loves liver, bacon and onions. Much to his mothers dissmay
    He also likes to help me skin them, never too young to show them where there food comes from in my oppinion

Jonathon

Re: Food Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by snapper5
    OMG! I have just discovered how to get to food heaven! Although I like liver I have somewhat resisted doing anything with the liver from a deer I have shot. That changed this evening and I now have a whole family of converts including my wife and all the kids from three years old to three teenagers!

Fried up a homegrown onion with some bacon lardons, smoked by a friend, then added some thinly sliced liver coated with flour, salt and coarsely ground pepper. Removed it from the pan so as to not overcook it and added some stock to the pan. Reduced the sauce to thicken it then popped the liver back in.

Reluctantly everyone tried a bit and then they all wanted some as well!

No wonder the delights of venison liver have been such a closely guarded secret. If, like me, you haven't been brave enough to try it or think it will be like that leathery stuff you were served up as a child, think again. Wow.
    Apart from good ingredients the key here is the cooking method which is spot on. Liver should be sliced thin, cooked quickly and ideally served slightly pink. Works just as well with lamb or calves liver. Try adding a little vermouth with the stock for a nice variation.

To me theres no better than deer liver and kidneys an no one gets a look in except me

Guys,

I am so pleased that the lesser offerings of venison (not my opinion) , are so greatly approved of.
    You may find the strong taste more palatable if you soak the liver and kidneys in milk for about half an hour , then wash them off in water before cooking , a good idea.

The alkaline in the milk kills off the acid in the strong taste and will produce a meat more than equal to the best calves liver that is available.

Dusted in well seasoned flour ( heavy on the pepper), then very shallow fried and served pink, is a meal for kings.

I was told roe liver is the nicest not tried it yet tho, so what is Basils food site? got the url anyone