Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 1:8 1:12 Turn?

.223 1:8 1:12 Turn?

Hi,Can anyone advise me on the pro's and cons of 1:12 turn and 1:8 turn with regards to accuracy , round choice and any other considerations with .223?

hi the 1 in 8 twist will let you shoot heavier bullets. so if you wanted to get out to the longer ranges on targets the 1 in 8 is the better choice.
    the 1 in 12 is more suited to foxing shooting bullets in the 40 to 55 grain range.

the 1 in 8 will still shoot the lighter bullets though 40's might not be as good in it as it would the 1 in 12.

all depends on what style of shooting you do. if it was me i would have the 1 in 8 you then have the choice to shoot the heavier bullets. but 50's will still shoot superb in it for foxing etc

go very carefull with a faster twist rate i own a 1 in 9 twist .223 (remington 700 sps tactical) and it was a ******* to say the least when i was working out a load that it liked and to be honest i dont quite know if im there yet with it and it will not shoot any 55gr factory loads, in fact the only factory loads i found it liked was some 69gr federal target ammo which is fine as long as all you want to shoot at is paper, and if your wondering what i run through it now its 60gr homeloads

Thank you for the advice,very helpful.If only things were as easy as "Here is your rifle & rounds now go and shoot things"!

Go for a tikka with a 1-8 twist, mine will shoot 50grains in nice tight groups as it will with 75grain amax, only problem with the amax is you have to single load

And just to confuse you my Tikka with 1:12 shoots 55grain vmax super duperly and the foxes doesn't like it one bit.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Thank you both again,I had been looking at a couple of tikka's one in 1:12 (super varmint) and the other 1:8 (lite).After much consideration (and a bloody good deal) I,m going for a cz527 synthetic 1:12 for a pure lightweight fox destroying tool.

i shoot a steyr in 1:9 and it will shoot 60gr vmax all day long but anything lighter will take a lot of load development. most of my shooting is fox and to be honest i would prefer the rifle to group lighter rounds.

Sometimes Lady luck puts in an appearance, I received my Tikka M595 back from re barrel @ Border's, with a 1:8 twist, I dropped a few of the old Tikka's 40 grain Nosler loads in the mag, hey presto! bugholes!, this barrel has been throated for 69 grain bullets.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    go very carefull with a faster twist rate i own a 1 in 9 twist .223 (remington 700 sps tactical) and it was a ******* to say the least when i was working out a load that it liked and to be honest i dont quite know if im there yet with it and it will not shoot any 55gr factory loads, in fact the only factory loads i found it liked was some 69gr federal target ammo which is fine as long as all you want to shoot at is paper, and if your wondering what i run through it now its 60gr homeloads
    Interesting, my SPS wasn't fussy in the least and worked reasonably with 55gr fmj.
    63gr SMP and 65gr GMK where cracking.