Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new zealand hunting trip

new zealand hunting trip

i am planning a trip to new zealand for 2013 and am wondering if any body else has been out there and how they got on.
    if they went through an agent or diy style ie getting there own permits and going out there selfs?
    was planning march so would be there autumn .
    atb adie

hi mate i went out last year for tahr chamois and reds i was invited by a friend and had a fantastic time we hunted all doc ground our permits had been issued before our arrival now the ground we where on took days to get into on foot and only one helicopter firm could land on these blocks so it hadnt been over shot some good trophy heads were taken . i will definately be going back and i would definately be confident in doing it on my own without paying an agent .you can go onto the doc website and all species sightings are published you can get your permits on that sight in advance just make sure if you go to go early enough that ballots arnt drawn as that would stop hunting on those grounds apart from the guys winning that ballot.also bank holidays is overrun by tourists so the big glasiers are off limits if you need any more info or pics to wet your appitite just ask atb,wayne

i forgot to say if you do go the d i y route hire a gps and a sat phone from any garage over there it will help no end in getting around finding the huts and from a safety point of view you know if needed you can get someone in those chopper boys are amazing we flew in in fog hugging the glasier till we couldnt go any further and we got dropped on the side of this glasier for 4 days and moved on from there just allow time either side for weather conditions we never made it out via chopper on our last day as weather was bad .

what is the web site to look at for the documents and permits?
    adie

Department of Conservation

you should find all you need on here if not give me a pm and i will send some more info for you just going to mother inlaws,atb wayne

I used to live in Central Otago....... there are a few guides to choose from and it is NZ at its best.

Regards

BP

http://www.hawea-hunting.co.nz/

http://flyfishhunt.co.nz/

http://www.minaretoutfitters.com/index.html

http://www.glendenestation.co.nz/

your message box is full.
    Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    hi mate i went out last year for tahr chamois and reds i was invited by a friend and had a fantastic time we hunted all doc ground our permits had been issued before our arrival now the ground we where on took days to get into on foot and only one helicopter firm could land on these blocks so it hadnt been over shot some good trophy heads were taken . i will definately be going back and i would definately be confident in doing it on my own without paying an agent .you can go onto the doc website and all species sightings are published you can get your permits on that sight in advance just make sure if you go to go early enough that ballots arnt drawn as that would stop hunting on those grounds apart from the guys winning that ballot.also bank holidays is overrun by tourists so the big glasiers are off limits if you need any more info or pics to wet your appitite just ask atb,wayne

Speak with 50/50 off this site and tell him I sent you.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Ihave hunted there a couple of times, I went with a guide in both cases, the first trip was excellent the second not quite as good, in part because we went too late in the year (August). We hunted on private land, stations. Used a combination of helicopters and back packing in to where we needed to hunt. I have a mate that is a UK based guide for NZ hunting spending his time here and the hunting season over in NZ. I can forward you contact details if you wish to go the guided route. I would suggest that you need some contact over there, at least for your first trip whether that is a professional or just a contact off here to smooth things over.

If hunting in the South Island you will need a good level of fitness, especially if hiking/tramping into the bush to hunt, on my first trip we had 18 river crossings in one day though snow melt rivers up to our waist. The second trip we were using Ice Axes while climbing after Tahr and Chamois. If the only exercise you get is a bit of Southern UK woodland stalking you will have to think about doing something more to get the most out of your trip IMO.
    Plenty of Kiwi’s on here that will offer advice I am sure. The “NZ hunt and fish” web site is a good place to look for information.

ATB

Tahr

heres another good site for reports and info ,http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi
    forgot to say we hunted the south island but depends on what you want to hunt really atb,wayne