Bi Pod

Peter Eaton

I had a Harris bi pod which was 9-13 I think which I swapped for a Harris 13-27(think thats the size) as that will be far more useful where I shoot when the grass is longer. But I will probabley get either a Harris benchrest version (6-9 i think?) for zeroing etc. Have any of you found any of the other makes other than Harris ok? If so which ones , how were their build quality and performance please?

pete

I wouldn't get a benchrest type, rather get a swivel type and a bubble level for the scope, at least you can, in an
emergency zero off any uneven surface. The bubble level also comes in handy when shooting in uneven terrain.
For the summer I often use a 25" Harris, and for the winter sometimes a 9-13 (cheapy) or none. The harris broke first day
and was replaced. The cheaper one just needs screws & nuts checked often and Loctite applied, otherwise ten years of good service.
Also use it for 300m comps. For stalking I practiced a bit off hand shooting, in the meantime I shoot most deer off-hand. Nice six pointer
today at 20yds.
edi

I say well done for shooting deer off hand. I fear far too little practice goes into off hand, sitting, 'over the fence post', type shots nowadays, and when people get to the range they just set up the bipod and off they go,,then when out stalking they're up sh!t creek just having to take an 80yd shot off twin sticks:rolleyes:

I actually took my bipod off this weekend, realised it had only been used once in the last year, and when I'm out on the hill for reds, I tend to use my rucksack instead of a bipod. there's just too much fumbling around trying to get it level, etc, better just be able to take a quick shot from another position when the time is right.

:D We had very strong winds blowing and rain so we went into heavy cover on a fairly shelterd steep hill.
The stag was passing us up hill chasing after a hind. I found a gap between the branches. Funny he didn't
cop on as the wind was swirling and it was two of us + a lab.
Thought the same, all this long range gear and then 20yds.
sorry for the hijack
edi

:D We had very strong winds blowing and rain so we went into heavy cover on a fairly shelterd steep hill.
The stag was passing us up hill chasing after a hind. I found a gap between the branches. Funny he didn't
cop on as the wind was swirling and it was two of us + a lab.
Thought the same, all this long range gear and then 20yds.
sorry for the hijack
edi

I know, most people are like "I shot a buck at 280 yds, and a fox at 375yds with my XYZ blueprinted action and 54" double heavy barrel with super titanium moderator, crystal bedded stock with titanium suck my XXX pillars and a 400moa sniper scope, etc.", then out of nowhere comes,,"took a buck at 20yds offhand",,puuaykaaa! good on ya mate,,thank your mother for the rabbits:cool:

I use a bipod only for range but actually had to take it off as it didnt swivel.
Unless you are off a bench with a perfectly flat surface I found myself slightly twisting the gun to straighten up the reticule on any uneven ground.

on my 270 the stock is quite thin and the action of twisting the pistol grip to straighten the rifle was twisting against the bipod which was in turn moving the barrel closer and further away from the forend.

This in effect changed my POI massively and caused me to think the thing was shot to hell.

by removing the non swivelling bipod I went from this :

Norma270.jpg

To this:

IMAG0215.jpg

I even took a video at the time to demonstrate. bit dark but watch the gap between fore-end wood and barrel

HSF :: VIDEO0204.mp4 video by bewsh - Photobucket

Last edited:
Back