Thread: Country File BBC Today

Country File BBC Today

Just a heads up that country file is covering hunting and the fact its more popular now since the ban.

Smithy

Re: Country File BBC Today

Quote Originally Posted by smithp18
    Just a heads up that country file is covering hunting and the fact its more popular now since the ban.

Smithy
    The fact of the matter seems to be that hunting is now more popular than ever before and it has to be the case that people have been drawn to it simply because an animal is no longer hunted in most cases, i.e. where a drag replaces the quarry. These new entrants seem to outnumber those that have given up having found drag hunting a poor substitute.

On the other side of the coin is the problem that foxes and other mammals still have to be controlled and hunting is a popular but relatively ineffective way of doing this.

I was not in favour of the ban although I did not hunt apart from occasionally following on foot. I don't go at all now as I enjoyed seeing the foxes and stags and watching hounds hunting a drag just doesn't do it for me.

One benefit was that, in theory, some deer stalking in Devon and Somerset would be opened up as the deer were no longer controlled by hunting. Before the ban you had to talk about deer stalking in hushed tones in some pubs in that area, and this still remains the case in some areas, but there seems to be a more access to red deer stalking.