Roe in winter coat.....a bit early?

groach1234

I've seen 2 differant does in or going in to winter coat already. One was well into it although not a thick yet but clear gourget (spelling) patches showing the other was front half winter back half summer again with clear gourget patches. One was also in a group of 2 does, 3 kids and a buck. Is it early to be seeing them in winter coats or normal?

George

Maybe they know something we don't...

We got our first big dump of snow a year ago 2 months from now (think it was around 24th Nov), hard to believe isn't it?

I thought maybe it was just me, saw a doe the other night with a buck. She was in her winter coat.:confused:
Did begin to wonder wether I was seeing things.

Shot a young buck about 2 weeks ago with gourget patches coming through, looked like he was just coming out of winter coat, as in all patchy.

Seen a roe doe yesterday in winter coat had to look twice,does seem early but winter is just around the corner.

Same here in Devon. Watched 2 Does the other evening and both were clearly going into winter coat.

ArthursC

a lot of roe in winter coats up in moray to , beasts on the moors and hill tops well on , where as the beasts on the low ground have not started yet , dont blame them got my winter kit on as well , willie .

I saw my first doe in winter coat yesterday , also seen a young buck well on the moult and he should be in winter coat in the next week or so !

I must say its the earliest I've noticed.

The leaves are turning early this year too, maybe we are in for a hard winter? :-|

I saw my first doe in winter coat yesterday , also seen a young buck well on the moult and he should be in winter coat in the next week or so !

I must say its the earliest I've noticed.

When you say "well on in the moult" what exactly are you seeing?.
Roe deer do not "moult" their summer coat, rather the hair appears to lengthen, thicken and change colour. I have personally never seen loose summer coat hairs.
S.

Back