Thread: Rut starting in Norfolk/Suffolk?

Rut starting in Norfolk/Suffolk?

I've been out for an absolutely beautiful stalk this morning, it all seems to be kicking off with the reds, I spent an age watching (sadly well out of reach) a massive 16 pointer holding a group of hinds and chasing off the smaller spikers, lots of raoring and running about, this is much earlier than last year for this neck of the woods though if my memory serves me correctly, are we in for an early rut?

They have been at it for a week in yorkshire, infact i have just had a look round and the stags have decimated a cover crop last night.

they have flattened large areas in the crop, pulled a load of plants up around one of the ponds and made a big wallow in a peaty scrape !

I filmed a jet black peat stained stag courting a group of hinds a few days ago, that could have been a likely culprit ,
    Although he was game the ladies never showed much interest. DF

I called in at carlton moor range on thursday and mike said his reds hadnt started yet, then next minute one of his stags gave his first roar of the rut.

was out this evening and watched an 18 pointer with about 9 hinds magnificent animal, i stalked into about 100 yards and lay watching them unfortunatly he,s off limits for now

Quote Originally Posted by the scudd View Post
    was out this evening and watched an 18 pointer with about 9 hinds magnificent animal, i stalked into about 100 yards and lay watching them unfortunatly he,s off limits for now
    sounds like a beautiful animal,and probably well on in life,let um sow his seed then make the decision!!!up here at kingussie,there is bugger all going on,plenty hinds acting odd,lying low in burns,and the odd old single hind and calf springing up out of the odd nook,we have had a terrible wind for the last 3 weeks,so been struggling.next week it could all be different?!?!?!? my diary says last year there was no hinds being held until 8th october,i hope that aint a repeat?cheers.