Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: import duties

import duties

hi all , looking at importing a loading press in from the states.Cost of the press is 123 dollars, would anybody know how much i would pay on import duties. regards tony

Nothing if it was a "present"

VAT at 20% on the Sterling value plus typically about 12 in 'handling' charge

forgot to add there are import duties over and above the VAT duty for certain items.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I've bought a fair bit of camera gear from the USA and when its comes into this country they add 20% vat, then roughly 9% import duty after, then sometimes like Limulus says couriers sometime add a handling charge!

It does usually work out cheaper, but you need to be aware of the extras you pay.

But if its sent as a gift...then you should be ok and get away with it.

Cheers
    Brian.

They also charge Vat on the postal cost of shipping.
    A lot of the bigger US companys will not mark down stuff sent as a gift now as well .It still works out cheaper than buying stuff here in the UK most of the time if they will ship it over here?

Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

i am awaiting a reloading kit from the states , i drive an american car and get a lot parts etc sent from a friend , ive never had a package stopped that he has sent , every package sent from a company is held till i pay duty ,, get yourself an american pal lol

import duties

Big thanks for that lads, the item is in las vegas and i have just found out my wife has a mate who lives there. So tonight im going to offer my wife, my perfect body for one night only lol. In return she can get her mate to buy, and send to it me hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
    Big thanks for that lads, the item is in las vegas and i have just found out my wife has a mate who lives there. So tonight im going to offer my wife, my perfect body for one night only lol. In return she can get her mate to buy, and send to it me hopefully
    Is there a reloading outlet there? I know of Accuracy Gun Shop, a rather basic little place but he has a few odds and ends. There is of course Bass Pro, and I recently found out about a shop near Henderson area called Spurlocks, which I will visit next time I am out there.

Quote Originally Posted by John_R View Post
    Is there a reloading outlet there? I know of Accuracy Gun Shop, a rather basic little place but he has a few odds and ends. There is of course Bass Pro, and I recently found out about a shop near Henderson area called Spurlocks, which I will visit next time I am out there.
    just do as i do ,, a lot of these companys offer free shipping within the USA,,, have your item shipped to your friend then have them ship to you using USPS, i have used them for everything from decals to alloy wheels and car bonnets without any problems, do not use fedex or you item will be held at customs