Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumper Acorn crop on the cards

Bumper Acorn crop on the cards

When I was in Devon over the August Bank holiday it looked like there was going to be a good beech mast with a substantial acorn crop. Well at the MGF the oaks were loaded and when I fed my duck pond last night the oaks seemed absolutely bursting with acorns which seemed very big. If so its going to make for some very intresting pigeon shooting if you get a nice windy afternoon. Not so good news for the pheasants shoots with birds straying everywhere.

Is it a similar picture over the UK in wonder?

D

Plenty of acorns but the trees themselves don't look so good at ours, this years growth is withered and has gone white on 90% of ours, we have a lot of pedunculate oak in here, not a tree expert so don't know what's causing it, it doesn't look like that sudden oak death syndrome though. It's affecting young and very old trees, I asked the gardener at work and he has no idea what it is.

Account Suspended
    hi
    yes all the oaks on my ground, here in west sussex are bursting with acorns, im sure mother nature has something up her sleeve that we dont know about yet !!!!

Last year shot a fallow pricket with his stomach bursting with acorns,
    we opened the stomach up and a good two bucket fulls of acorns spewed onto the grass.
    He had been sitting under an Oak, and I reckon he had been all day eating them as the stomach acids had not stated to work on any of the acorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Benc View Post
    Plenty of acorns but the trees themselves don't look so good at ours, this years growth is withered and has gone white on 90% of ours, we have a lot of pedunculate oak in here, not a tree expert so don't know what's causing it, it doesn't look like that sudden oak death syndrome though. It's affecting young and very old trees, I asked the gardener at work and he has no idea what it is.
    It's powdery mildew. Very common on Oak and usually of no long term consequence. We see it a lot round here especially on the Lamas growth (second growth of Oaks usually in August).

Regards

G

Be good for hitting the pigeons going between the oaks then folks. One of my favourite forms of shotgunning and I won't be around for it. Oh well, to those that can, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by zaitsev View Post
    It's powdery mildew. Very common on Oak and usually of no long term consequence. We see it a lot round here especially on the Lamas growth (second growth of Oaks usually in August).

Regards

G
    Cheers for that!

Yep, stand outside the back door, handy for coffee and biscuits, and shoot them as crossers as they go between the house and the oaks behind. Very satisfying, very tasty!

David.
    Last edited by Kalahari; 20-09-2011 at 15:34. Reason: Illiterate!

They are starting to move past the back door now, last couple I shot had a few acorns and quite a lot of young rape, from th eregrowth after the harvest, in their crops.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    They are starting to move past the back door now, last couple I shot had a few acorns and quite a lot of young rape, from th eregrowth after the harvest, in their crops.

David.
    Lucky bugger!