Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pheasant shoot

pheasant shoot

Hello all,

Quick question what roughly is the going rate per acre for a small woodland pheasant shoot?

to buy?
    not sure what the question is?

Whatever the farmer can sting you for. Depends if it is a shoot or farm you want to shoot. Could be anything from a bottle to 4-5 grand. A shoot capable of holding and presenting high pheasants is at a premium. Before you commit find out what the farmer is willing to give. game cover, grazing, stock fence maintenance. Seen many a good wood destroyed in days with sheep and cattle flattening the cover and all the farmer says is woops. A good farm with good margins are at a premium. With set aside done away with farmer plough to the fenceposts.Nothing to hold your birds the next door boys will say thanks a bunch, Jim
    Be a bit more spacific in your question.

Ok basically a land owner that I know is looking to buy a woodland, he has found a small 90 acre wood which is coniferous mainly with some hardwood areas, there is a shoot on it and he's asked me what sort of yearly rent he should get from the shoot. As far as I know there are no fields with it. I thought that 4 or 5 pounds an acre was the going rate but this is small and as mentioned has no open areas so I'm a bit unsure what to tell him.

It would all depend on the 90 acre wood. A wood where the canopy has closed over is a dark, cold place that will not hold pheasants. To make drives you need cleared areas from where the pheasants can fly and more clear areas to shoot. Shooting ground needs constant work to improve it's potential to hold birds. Trees in them selves will not hold birds. You need good cover areas. What is the weather like. Ground that constantly being hit with cold winds ain't good.

Can you describe the shoot that already exists? Are there drives? It would make a big difference if there is a possibility of game crops. If a tennent could obtain the fields around the wood it may well make the whole area a better prospect.

Good shooting ground is worth money but ground that will not hold pheasants is worthless.

surely if there is a shoot on it then there is a payment in place. just ask the shoot or the current owner.

I have shot on a predominantly coniferous rough shoot. close canopy holds the pheasants just fine. too much in fact.
    when driven you get a deluge of birds all at once. highly entertaining!

Not sure what you think I mean by closed canopy but after a while the light does not get to the woodland floor, no growth and all that is left is pine needles. This I can assure you does not hold pheasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Not sure what you think I mean by closed canopy but after a while the light does not get to the woodland floor, no growth and all that is left is pine needles. This I can assure you does not hold pheasants.
    X2

Hi mjjl,
    If there is a shoot already on the land I would check if 1) the sporting rights come with the wood, or 2) are owned by someone else, or 3) are to be retained. If the rights do come with the sale I would find out if there is a written agreement with the current shoot and whether this agreement passes to the new owner. Commercial fees per acre for a good shotgun/game shoot are around 5-10 an acre, with stalking can be more? Good luck,

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    x3