Thread: High Seat Shooting Rail Adjustment

High Seat Shooting Rail Adjustment

Help please.

Does anyone have any ideas (the simpler, the better) to raise the height of a (fixed, non adjustable) high seat shooting rail please?

I have just positioned a new seat on one of my permissions and the only suitable tree is leaning forward at about 20 degrees - plus the ground at the base of the tree is sloping away from the tree. These factors cause two problems - the angle of the tree trunk is not allowing me to sit fully at the back of the seat and the ladder is now near vertical which further lowers the height / angle of the front rail.

I was playing with the idea of a "U" shape piece of steel hollow section fixed to the side rails and the front bar but bent up like an upturned pram handle - or (somehow) fixing a piece of 6 x 1 timber to the front rail?

One other solution is there is a very nice electricity pole exactly where I would like the seat (and 100 yards closer to the edge of the wood) but I might get into trouble fixing a seat to that?

TIA
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

How about sticking some back legs on the seat and making it a 'free-stander'?
    Or...
    Mount the seat on the side of the tree and shoot off the side rail.
    Or....
    Make something similar to one of those ladder 'stand offs' which allows the seat to sit further away from the tree.
    Don't use the electric pole!!!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    One other solution is there is a very nice electricity pole exactly where I would like the seat (and 100 yards closer to the edge of the wood) but I might get into trouble fixing a seat to that?
    Is anyone ever likely to see your addition to this electricity pole? It would stick out like a sore thumb though and make it a very visible target for any undesirables...

The U shape might be a bit bouncy/unstable?
    How much height do you need to make up? What about filling a shooting bag/rest (something like this) with poly balls (bean bag filler) and you've got a movable raised rest?

Stig

Thanks for the replies and I'm thinking the ladder stand-off approach might be best because fixing a "U" shape on the front will definitely be more bouncy / flexible than the existing front rail and with a minimum 190 yards I can do without any flex at all.

The shot bag I tried & it was not great.

Thanks for input.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    Thanks for the replies and I'm thinking the ladder stand-off approach might be best because fixing a "U" shape on the front will definitely be more bouncy / flexible than the existing front rail and with a minimum 190 yards I can do without any flex at all.

The shot bag I tried & it was not great.

Thanks for input.
    If a minimum 190 yard shot is only possible from it now the ladder stand-off seems a good idea.
    Stand it somewhere nearer to the spot where a shot may be taken and don`t even think of tampering with someones electric pole.

HWH.

Not sure that you can tell what I done with this one but it used to be a cheapo sportsman jobby,that the rest was far too low,and not adjustable............

Martin

Oh that does look damutznutz.

I might have to nick that idea