Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on sand ladders/waffle boards

Advice on sand ladders/waffle boards

After getting stuck in a field at 2am last night and having to call my mate out to tow me out of the mud I think it is maybe time I consider getting some sand ladders/waffle boards. I reckon my budget will be upto 60, so any suggestions on what I should be looking at for that kind of money?
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

plenty on ebay from about 30 a pair plus postage their not bad either i'v used them on peat bogs and in soft fields without any problems however the trick is getting the tyre to get that first bite a small shovel is a must.

Also remember to get two pieces of rope. Attach one to each board, and then tie on to the towbar or rear lashing points - that way you dont need to stop to pick them up, usually getting stuck again, and also they can be a bugger and heavy to pick up after your car has driven over them and filled all the holes full of mud. This way the car pulls them out of the mud, and you tow them until such a point where it is safe to stop.

Also remember to take a pair of thick gloves as the fibreglass waffles can splinter around the edges where they have been cut.

Go for waffle boards, incredably strong - when I tested my first set I leant them on top of a 9" block wall that was approx 3' high and drove the land rover front end straight up on top of the wall, plenty of bend but boy are they strong. Get the longest ones you can fit in / on your vehicle / afford and as floyd says put some rope on them, you dont want to go paddling to retreive them.

Tom

The other way is to buy a set of snow chains they work as well in mud as they do in snow.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Dave,

these are the ones I was talking about.
    We had them in the early 80's and are excellent in mud and snow. you wont be bridging anything in them but to get rolling they are very good (and cheap). the best bit is they are thin and flexible and can be forced down towards the bottom of the tyre so as much of the tyre is already on it despite being stuck.
    Problem with thicker and stiffer "boards" is you cant get enough material under the tyre once it has spun to give it the grip it needs.
    Maypole 536 Grip Mats - Yellow (A Pair): Amazon.co.uk: Car Motorbike

Also heard good stuff about this, but it is ex MOD and probably 5x the price

http://www.ljacksonandco.com/ljdbase...?editid1=11723

of you could get these

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...Grabber-MT.htm

I don't know if you guys use snowmobiles but here, wrecked snow machines are scavenged for their drive tracks. They make great traction boards and if you lose them? No great loss.~Muir

if you drive a Land Rover,thats why you got stuck get a Trooper and go anywhere

paul

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Dave,

these are the ones I was talking about.
    We had them in the early 80's and are excellent in mud and snow. you wont be bridging anything in them but to get rolling they are very good (and cheap). the best bit is they are thin and flexible and can be forced down towards the bottom of the tyre so as much of the tyre is already on it despite being stuck.
    Problem with thicker and stiffer "boards" is you cant get enough material under the tyre once it has spun to give it the grip it needs.
    Maypole 536 Grip Mats - Yellow (A Pair): Amazon.co.uk: Car Motorbike

Also heard good stuff about this, but it is ex MOD and probably 5x the price

http://www.ljacksonandco.com/ljdbase...?editid1=11723

of you could get these

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...Grabber-MT.htm
    I took a punt on the Maypole Grips Mats.....so if they don't work I can blame you lol !
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest