Books on tracking

barongcw

A friend asked me which books exist in english on tracking.
I came up with the following in alphabetical order:

1 Tom Brown Jr; The Science and art of tracking
2 John Jeanneney; Dead on
3 John Jeanneney; Tracking Dogs for finding wounded deer
4 Richard P Smith; Tracking Wounded deer
5 Niels Sondergaard; Working with dogs for deer
6 John Trout Jr; Finding wounded deer
7 Guy Wallace; Training dogs for woodland deer stalking

Does anybody know of others?

Although not specifically about deer/game tracking this one contains excellent info on how a dog uses it's amazing olfactory powers and the actual biological makeup of a 'scent trail':

View attachment 9235

About £8 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scent-Scent...9420/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316683990&sr=8-1

Several others on there relating to Hunting the Clean Boot or training for man tracking that give insights into tracking training and abilities - mainly Shutzhund stuff but interesting all the same, the Glen R Johnson 'Tracking Dog 1997 - Theory & Method' is worth a read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Tracking+dog&x=0&y=0

BTW. I didn't think much of your nos. 2 & 6 when I read them - a bit lightweight!

Last edited:
Although not specifically about deer/game tracking this one contains excellent info on how a dog uses it's amazing olfactory powers and the actual biological makeup of a 'scent trail':

View attachment 9235

About £8 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scent-Scent...9420/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316683990&sr=8-1

Several others on there relating to Hunting the Clean Boot or training for man tracking that give insights into tracking training and abilities - mainly Shutzhund stuff but interesting all the same, the Glen R Johnson 'Tracking Dog 1997 - Theory & Method' is worth a read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Tracking+dog&x=0&y=0

BTW. I didn't think much of your nos. 2 & 6 when I read them - a bit lightweight!
Thank you for this. Agree with your views on 2 and 6 but in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

George

speak to Kim and see what recomendations he comes up with as they can be translated:thumb:

Now that is an idea. I can speak and read German so have all the right books but the friend cannot.

Suely it will cost a bomb but I'll ask Kim.

Thats good baron, kim has a book he calls the bible and it only comes in german, we are going to get you to tranlate i for us..!!

Tony

View attachment 9235

Thank you for this. "Scent and the Scenting Dog" just arrived. I find it fascinating. As an example: I have always wondered why the old German masters said you had to wait 2 hours before starting tracking if the deer is wounded. Why not 1 hour or 90 minures?
According to the author it takes about 2 hours before the "Ground scent intensity level" is at its maximum. Guess the old boys knew from experience but it is conforting to see science confirming it.

Neils Sondergaard's book on tracking is brilliant. Quite simple with some good pictures. Gets my vote!

Thank you for this. "Scent and the Scenting Dog" just arrived. I find it fascinating. As an example: I have always wondered why the old German masters said you had to wait 2 hours before starting tracking if the deer is wounded. Why not 1 hour or 90 minures?
According to the author it takes about 2 hours before the "Ground scent intensity level" is at its maximum. Guess the old boys knew from experience but it is conforting to see science confirming it.

Yes it is an interesting book isn't it.

I feel that people looking for information/books/articles on training dogs for deer or other game can get a bit too focused on just that specific aspect of dogwork, and not spread their net a bit wider for books like this. The piece you've quoted above is an excellent example of how the study of scent - any scent, not neccessarily deer/game - can help us understand how the dog works best on a trail. Another is the description of how crushed vegetative matter/scent increases as biological scent decreases, it makes it easier to understand how a dog can track over long distances where little or no blood is present, or a long time delay has occurred.

I particularly like the way the author has taken the raw scientific analysis/data and made it into a very readable and easily understood book - I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in what it is that their dog is actually following and how to give them the best chance for success - particularly with regard to 'cold' trails. Maybe a bit more of this sort of info will find it's way onto deer dog courses in the future?

Last edited:
Yes it is an interesting book isn't it.

I feel that people looking for information/books/articles on training dogs for deer or other game can get a bit too focused on just that specific aspect of dogwork, and not spread their net a bit wider for books like this. The piece you've quoted above is an excellent example of how the study of scent - any scent, not neccessarily deer/game - can help us understand how the dog works best on a trail. Another is the description of how crushed vegetative matter/scent increases as biological scent decreases, it makes it easier to understand how a dog can track over long distances where little or no blood is present, or a long time delay has occurred.

I particularly like the way the author has taken the raw scientific analysis/data and made it into a very readable and easily understood book - I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in what it is that their dog is actually following and how to give them the best chance for success - particularly with regard to 'cold' trails. Maybe a bit more of this sort of info will find it's way onto deer dog courses in the future?

This book is better than interesting, I call it fascinating. Next to Sondergaard it should be read by everybody who has an interest in trailing and tracking.

You can rest assured that part of it are already incorporated into the slides for the dogs4deer course of the NGO.

Another gem I liked in it was the beautifully clear explanation of the difference between a trailing hound and a tracking hound.
I guess 95% of deerdog owners think they have a tracking hound when it fact they have a trailing hound and they need different training.
Any other gems on your bookshelf?

Another gem I liked in it was the beautifully clear explanation of the difference between a trailing hound and a tracking hound.
I guess 95% of deerdog owners think they have a tracking hound when it fact they have a trailing hound and they need different training.

George, i agree 100% with your statement.

Tony

Back