shooting greatness.

swampy

Yesterday trapper popped round and we loaded some rounds for his .308win. we used his own sako brass. some 150 gr nosler solid base round nose boat tailed bullets. they are unfashionably stubby looking (not trapper, the bullets). Used reloader 15 CCI primers.

worked up the load from the 45 gr min towards 49 gr max.

45 was ok about an inch.
46 was ok about 1.5 inch
47 was ace, the 3 shots were a one hole group at 100 yards
48 was ok about 1.5 inch but there was a bright spot on the base of the case where the ejector plunger is.
49 was slightly compressed. one shot blew out the primer! quite a pressure jump. the rest of the group not fired.

That group at 47 was fantastic. probably the best bit of rifle shooting i have ever seen. I think the round will be a great very hard hitting deer round with match accuracy.

well done roy.

swampy

his shooting prowess is clearly rivalled only by my reloading genius

Is the rifle very only or a cheaper make i would worry if i had started to show pressure signs as early as you chaps did. Well done on the good group and best of luck with it on live quarrie.

Yep, Rel 15 is a great powder for the .308 and 150g bullets, I use 46.5g with Ballistic Tip and it is the same result. :lol:

Good shooting. :D

rifle

the rifle is a quite new tikka t3.

I also was suprised. i have never seen any pressure signs at any of the max data published in the speer manuals. I have loaded .223 243 270win, 7mm08 308 and 30-06 and this is the only time i have seen pressure whilst staying in the speer guidelines. all of the loads were wieghed and not just dropped.

but that at 47 was spot on.

swampy

How about the brass Steve, had it been fired a few times or was it new? Have you another few pieces of different make brass that you could try at the same loads.

John

brass.

john

It was decent once fired sako. I am quite cool about it really. the accuracy was superb. i don't see it as a problem. I also wonder about whether the nosler bullets are very fractionally bigger than others. I don't know. with them being a round nose they have a proportionally longer shank.

but the accuracy load is 47 gr in that brass with that bullet. I am quite happy with this level of performance. the outstanding thing was the level of roys marksmanship.

swampy

I had a case jam in my new T3 up at Malcs and that was factory ammo, Federal PowerShocks.
Jammed solid managed to knock it out with ram rod from an old Enfield musket !! The very nice man at our local gunshop sorted me the chamber out gave it all a once over and only charged me thirty quid, was going to cost me £35 just to post to GMK and if there was something wrong that looked like was my fault then it woud really cost me, so much for warranty and factory ammo.#
Been fine never sniff of a jam before when using on the range soon as want to go in the field .. :evil:

Really ****ed me off, luckily Malc came to the rescue and lent me a rifle :D what a star that man is shot his deer, and a very first ever grouse :D eat his food (very good it was to I might add :p ) drank his wine, borrowed his waterproofs, leggings then his rifle :lol:

In the end the rifle jamming was forgotten and drifted into the haze that surrounds the whole adventure :lol:

Rob,

you going to complain to Federal about that, it may stop it happening to some other poor sod, plus you may get a £30 refund and a few buckshee rounds out of it.

Swampy,

47 grains it is then, and all hail to Trapper the marks man :D :D

John

I have kept the case and intend to have ago but everyone is being very negative, I examined the case when I actually removed it the sides were very pitted and the chamber had rusted badly (had to be lapped out by the gunsmith) I know that with the corrosive elements in the propellent it would corode the chamber but I am would pondering would a week jammed in the chamber cause it to pit the case so badly ?

JAYB said:
Rob,

you going to complain to Federal about that, it may stop it happening to some other poor sod, plus you may get a £30 refund and a few buckshee rounds out of it.

Don't hold your breath! Six years ago I had a Federal factory round split at the shoulder of the case. Did all the feedback to manufacturer etc - even sent them the bloody case - nothing, nada, zilch.

Ahhh then I was right about the case splitting in the breach. Glad to hear you managed to clear it ok Rob.

I would write to Federal and complain, it is unusual for this to occur, although having said that I had a box of Federal many years ago that shot all over the place. I have never used them since, I personally do not like their ammo. But thats just my personal opinion.

I had some trouble with Privi ammo about a year ago in my revolver, that also split and jammed the cylinder. Still use it in the revolver, but I would not use it in my rifles, again just my opinion.

Hope all is well with you and Fran, Rob.

Sikamalc

Hi LE - have had a similar expeience recently with Federal ammo so I'd be interested in swapping notes - check PMs.

Taking this in a different direction but still relevant i feel is the fact that the Tikka has got a history of problems with regards there action . I know a chap off here who,s rifle blow up and alot more went the same way luckily he is ok . I had the tikka stainless and while it shot great and did not show any signs of pressure i still did not have full confidence in the rifle wondering if one day it would weaken and i would suffer the effects of this . Not trying to worry any one but i would certainly after this thread check my rifle case for pressure signs.

Never heard of a Tikka blowing up. Thats not say they have, but I myself am not familier with any problems. I have used and owned them for over 25 years. Never ever let me down.

The ammo was at fault here, NOT the rifle.

Hmmm yes 6.5x55 I have read it, and it appears there were only 80 rifles affected of which only 20 were sold. All have been recalled. Duffy batch of steel (probably chinese :lol: )

Leagles rifle is not stainless although mine is, and does not fall between the numbers. Legals rifle jam was/is the cartridge and not the rifle, but I would still go out and buy a Tikka tomorrow, I have never had a problem with them, but as I mentioned Federal and Privi ammo I have.

Well my Tikka was new in june this year ,! It aint gonna blow up and I love it to bits , I dont shoot federal or privi through it , so thats sorted. Although my other tikka .243 loves federal , and groups sub 1" at 100 , I can't wait for my first load on .243 with my mentor TRAPPER.

Back