Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5 again (sorry)

6.5 again (sorry)

i read with intrest a lot about the 6.5x55 and i must say what ive seen ive liked
    ive never shot one but feel im gonna swap my old remmy 270 for one
    i had my shoulder joint replaced at xmas and ive not picked a gun up yet this year and freezers nearly empty so will have to go out and stalk some beasts
    you guys that stalk with 6.5 whats the recoil like? is it worth moderating?
    i guess ill answer that myself when i have a mod fitted but i dont want to pack in stalking due to a new shoulder but feel the 270 will wreck it again
    docs told me to have a year off its been 10 months so i think its enough...
    cheers
    scout

soft recoil with out a mod
    but with one fitted and a balanced load its a pussy cat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7300106.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	321.8 KB 
ID:	9247 had a go with my brand new 6.5 today as john said very sweet indeed i didnt feel a thing nor did these prickets ,tried it without the mod just to keep the weight down .looks like the start of a very happy relationship

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    soft recoil with out a mod
    but with one fitted and a balanced load its a pussy cat.
    + 1 ...

I chose a 6.5x55 because of a neck injury which gave me referred pain down both arms. I cannot see a better choice out of all the calibres for you to choose given your injury. I know one professional stalker in Scotland who used a 6.5x57 for years on big West Coast Scottish reds. The 6.5x55 is a fine calibre with modest recoil when unmoderated, when moderated it is a pussycat.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Account Suspended
    had the 6.5x55 for three years and went 270 dont know why- blonde moment- now im running 243 and the 270 when the 6.5x55 would do what both calibres are doing !!!! umm me thinks there are going to be some changes in my cabinet

If you reload, you can down load your 270 to the same velocity of the 6.5X55 and for any given bullet weight you will have even less recoil. (This is because the 270 has slightly better internal ballistics due the slightly bigger bore diameter.) Simple physics.
    Many years ago before I used a moderator on the 270 I did this accidently, I reloaded some cartridges that felt really soft on the shoulder it was only afterwards when I chronied them I found out why.

ATB

Tahr

Conversely, if you reload and have a modern actioned 6.5, you can jack it up to similar performance as the .270 whilst retaining the sweet shooting nature of the calibre.

HME

Very mild to shoot unmoderated, negligible recoil moderated.

I've chronographed 140gr loads from the 6.5x55 alongside 140gr .270 loads, and there's less than 100fps difference in my rifles. Practically identical performance but much more mild to shoot, and more efficient use of powder if you reload.

Quote Originally Posted by HME View Post
    Conversely, if you reload and have a modern actioned 6.5, you can jack it up to similar performance as the .270 whilst retaining the sweet shooting nature of the calibre.

HME
    Problem is that the brass for a 6.5 is made to lower pressure spec. Got nothing to do with the action. The brass will let go
    if one over does it. Similar to a 30-30 case, brass has thinner walls.
    The 6.5 lapua brass might be strong enough, but are all 6.5x55 brass manufacturers adding the higher safety factor?
    I for one think it is wise to run within an intended pressure range, no matter which cartridge. One has to take into account
    that it only takes one slightly weaker case to mess things up, the more you shoot the more likely you'll come accross it and
    the higher your pressure the sooner this day will come.
    edi