Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please suggest me .308 and .243 expanding ammunition

Question Please suggest me .308 and .243 expanding ammunition

I suspect this has probably been discussed a lot around here, and different people will probably have different ideas. But I need to start somewhere, so please offer me some advise if you please. I currently own a Browning A Bolt in .308 and will hopefully be buying another A Bolt in .243. I need to know what people would recommend for a good reliable round. Especially people with A Bolt rifles. What is important to me (they are equaly important, so no particular order of magnitude here) is:

1. As little meat damage as possible

2. Stopping power

3. Accuracy

Please enlighten me. Thanks!

One ABolt rifle shooting a particular round well will not gaurantee that yours will. Make of rifle does not mean a great deal here. Calibre load suggestions are of course helpful to get started.

IF you are going to shoot factory ammo the only solution is to try them out. If you can get Prvi Partisan for instance and your rifle will shoot them to a reasonable group thats a money saver.

Most SP ammo will do the job on UK deer, meat damage well if it hits a bone that can happen.
    Stopping power, again cannot think that standard ammo wont do that job.
    Accuracy, then we are back to does your rifle like that particular cartridge.

If you are handloading the choices are infinite and plenty of information available from powder manufacturers, bullet suppliers and other web sites.

Good luck to your efforts

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    As Redneck said......Each rifle and ammo combo has the potential to be different.

I had good results with Federal Powershok 100gr and 150gr in my .243 and .308 Tikka's.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Morning.

+1 for TJ. Try different combos to see what works best for you.

After trial and error, I now use Hornady IBs for both .234 and .30-06, in 87grns for the .243, and 150grns for the .30cal.

I am not a ballistics expert, so to keep things simples, I use the same brand of brass, primer, powder for both calibres, though the powder is faster for the .243, and slower for the .30-06.

All the best.

Neil.

For factory the Federal Powershock seems to be quite tidy on paper but reloading is the way to go with either Nosler b-tips, Hornaday SST or Sierra game kings being the tope 3 IMO, the latter being an inexpensive bullet with great all round performance.

Many thanks. So would you recommend I get a box of each of the 2-3 different makes of bullets and try them out on some targets so I can get a better idea how they group and how they behave n my rifles?

Its your only real choice, you could be lucky and get a round that the rifle is good with first time. I have found with factory loads most will shoot reasonable.

I have one rifle my 223 Ruger which bugged the hell out of me, it just would not group better than 2". When i handloaded for this calibre i was lucky and got the accuracy this round is well known for. ( Why didnt i start handloading first )

IF you have shooting mates using the same calibre factory rounds try and cadge 3off each type it will give you some indication.

At the price of ammo you can rack up a fair bit of costs before getting something suitable. I know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Its your only real choice, you could be lucky and get a round that the rifle is good with first time. I have found with factory loads most will shoot reasonable.

I have one rifle my 223 Ruger which bugged the hell out of me, it just would not group better than 2". When i handloaded for this calibre i was lucky and got the accuracy this round is well known for. ( Why didnt i start handloading first )

IF you have shooting mates using the same calibre factory rounds try and cadge 3off each type it will give you some indication.

At the price of ammo you can rack up a fair bit of costs before getting something suitable. I know!!!
    Thanks a lot for that. I unfortunately do not know anyone who shoots, so it will have to be the expensive way to accuracy...

The federals powershok work well on paper with both 243 in 100gn and 308 in 150gn.

I have used both in anger and on paper and its good starting point as its a better than average cartridge.

My Ruger 223 hated the 55gn Feds and liked the Sako's so it is trail and error.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    Many thanks. So would you recommend I get a box of each of the 2-3 different makes of bullets and try them out on some targets so I can get a better idea how they group and how they behave n my rifles?
    Try a box of PPU first, cheepest out there, you might be lucky and your rifle likes them, saving you £'s.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position