Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Found My Missing Fox Tonight.

Found My Missing Fox Tonight.

Well I went tonight to have a look for a fox that I shot on Wednesday night.

After shooting the fox on Wednesday 2 of us went to have a look for it but could not find it as it was a heavily ploughed field (And we hadn't gone far enough back).

So myself and brother in law went to have a look tonight while there was still a bit of light left and to our surprise we found it but quite a bit further back than we thought, after measuring it back to the truck it turned out to be around 310 yards, so I was a very happy chappy

I think I will load some more of those bullets up first thing Monday morning, if thats what they can do.

That is certainly some shot. A fox at night at 310 yards. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    That is certainly some shot. A fox at night at 310 yards. Impressive.
    +1

I would say it was more luck than judgement, as the fox was found a lot further back than first thought
    but it was still a dead fox at 310yrds
    wayne
    out of interest hav you ever tested to see what that batch does out to 350 yards
    I recently tried my .222 out to 400 yards and was surprised by the results

Would like to know what lamp you are using. I tested mine last night at that kind of distance and there is no way I could have been sure what it was. New lamp needed.

Grant
    I hav a lightforce 170 in the motor just for any occasion + the battery pack also ,
    good for long range and could recommend this to you

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=lightforce+170&hl=en

and on my lamping set up
    I use a clulite cb2 with orange filter run off the quad and a sniper systems 700 lumens mounted on the scope

I can pick out a fox in the scope with any of these at those distances
    just would need to raise the orange filter for a clearer pic thou
    hope this helps
    ATB

Quote Originally Posted by wayneinthepub View Post
    Well I went tonight to have a look for a fox that I shot on Wednesday night.

After shooting the fox on Wednesday 2 of us went to have a look for it but could not find it as it was a heavily ploughed field (And we hadn't gone far enough back).

So myself and brother in law went to have a look tonight while there was still a bit of light left and to our surprise we found it but quite a bit further back than we thought, after measuring it back to the truck it turned out to be around 310 yards, so I was a very happy chappy

I think I will load some more of those bullets up first thing Monday morning, if thats what they can do.

You said 320 yards to me, creeping up already I see...............

Like I said Wayne, Dave has short legs and struggles to walk in a straight line and across ploughing aswell, well.............

Can see I best go with the range finder and check it myself..........

If you are to reach out at night you need a blitz(nightforce) with no filter.
    Have taken foxes out beyond 350m's when needed like this.
    Good shot anyway.

Thanks for the comments (Tikka_69 is just jealous because he wasn't allowed out with us ). I was using a Lightforce 170 with no filter on, we had the amber filter on it but I could not see it well enough.

When you say surprised with the results Stone do you mean the drop was not as much as you thought it would have been. I tried mine at 200 yards the other week, I have it set 1/2'' high at 100 yards and to my surprise it was bang on at 200 yards with the group opening up from 1/2'' to about a 1 1/4''

yes exactley
    the drop was nowhere near as much as I had originally thought which is why I mentioned about it being more luck than judgement
    as I am guessing if you had originally thought it was 300+ yards in the lamp you probably would of aimed a tad higher to compensate for the drop and probably could of missed over top
    which is why I tested mine out to 400 to see why I was missing some long shots
    out of interest how far did you think it was before you took the shot