Found My Missing Fox Tonight.

wayneinthepub

Well I went tonight to have a look for a fox that I shot on Wednesday night.

After shooting the fox on Wednesday 2 of us went to have a look for it but could not find it as it was a heavily ploughed field (And we hadn't gone far enough back).

So myself and brother in law went to have a look tonight while there was still a bit of light left and to our surprise we found it but quite a bit further back than we thought, after measuring it back to the truck it turned out to be around 310 yards, so I was a very happy chappy :D

I think I will load some more of those bullets up first thing Monday morning, if thats what they can do.

I would say it was more luck than judgement, as the fox was found a lot further back than first thought
but it was still a dead fox at 310yrds
wayne
out of interest hav you ever tested to see what that batch does out to 350 yards
I recently tried my .222 out to 400 yards and was surprised by the results

Would like to know what lamp you are using. I tested mine last night at that kind of distance and there is no way I could have been sure what it was. New lamp needed.

Grant
I hav a lightforce 170 in the motor just for any occasion + the battery pack also ,
good for long range and could recommend this to you

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=lightforce+170&hl=en

and on my lamping set up
I use a clulite cb2 with orange filter run off the quad and a sniper systems 700 lumens mounted on the scope

IMG_3882.jpg

I can pick out a fox in the scope with any of these at those distances
just would need to raise the orange filter for a clearer pic thou
hope this helps
ATB

Well I went tonight to have a look for a fox that I shot on Wednesday night.

After shooting the fox on Wednesday 2 of us went to have a look for it but could not find it as it was a heavily ploughed field (And we hadn't gone far enough back).

So myself and brother in law went to have a look tonight while there was still a bit of light left and to our surprise we found it but quite a bit further back than we thought, after measuring it back to the truck it turned out to be around 310 yards, so I was a very happy chappy :D

I think I will load some more of those bullets up first thing Monday morning, if thats what they can do.

You said 320 yards to me, creeping up already I see...............

Like I said Wayne, Dave has short legs and struggles to walk in a straight line and across ploughing aswell, well.............

Can see I best go with the range finder and check it myself..........;)

Thanks for the comments (Tikka_69 is just jealous because he wasn't allowed out with us :lol:). I was using a Lightforce 170 with no filter on, we had the amber filter on it but I could not see it well enough.

When you say surprised with the results Stone do you mean the drop was not as much as you thought it would have been. I tried mine at 200 yards the other week, I have it set 1/2'' high at 100 yards and to my surprise it was bang on at 200 yards with the group opening up from 1/2'' to about a 1 1/4''

yes exactley
the drop was nowhere near as much as I had originally thought which is why I mentioned about it being more luck than judgement
as I am guessing if you had originally thought it was 300+ yards in the lamp you probably would of aimed a tad higher to compensate for the drop and probably could of missed over top
which is why I tested mine out to 400 to see why I was missing some long shots
out of interest how far did you think it was before you took the shot

I have checked the field next to it on google earth before and new that was bang on 200yds so I was guessing around the 250yds mark, it was hard to tell as it was a long field that was freshly ploughed. The fox had sat down facing me so I placed the cross hairs at the top of its neck. If I remember correctly according to the data a 50 grain bullet drops around 3 1/2'' @ 300yds. I am now interested to try it on paper @ 300 and 400yds now :D

I am not using a .222 I have a 22/250 which is a Tikka M590 (Which was well trained in the art of fox killing as it used to belong to Tikka_69 on here)

I am not using a .222 I have a 22/250 which is a Tikka M590 (Which was well trained in the art of fox killing as it used to belong to Tikka_69 on here)

Bullets used were 50gn Nosler BT with 41gn of H380.

good going anything over 250 yards at night is some going in my book. on the dark turned ploughed fields they are hard to find after inless you have a point to go off as you walk over the field.

i shot one at 175 yards the other week. with my fireball. and even though i new he had dropped and see him slumped in the grass after in the scope. do you think i could find him.
i searched for 10 mins. then got the jeep in the field so i had more light and still couldn't find him.

i went back next day in day light. and it still took me 10 mins to find him. he was right by a big tuff of grass belly down so was very hard to see

i always find them easier to find at night without a light, except in potato ridges, just take a bearing from a tree or something else on the horizon and follow it from the truck

Use of a range finding laser/binocular usually helps, if you drop your fox on a called range, walk out, range back to your firing position, & search along the arc.

We were out on Tues and after lots of searching came across a very wary fox who was on a ploughed field, absolute bugger to get at as there were interveaning hedges. Anway shot was taken at a very difficult, slowly moving fox, I diidnt hear the strike, however thts not unusual with .17 Fireball. I thought it moved a little after the shot, which despite 20 gn Ballistic tip also appears normal. Anyway we couldnt find it, very big ridges on heavy ground.

Next am mate went out and found it straight away, alot further out than we thought, probably at 200 yds, whch is a long way on the lamp .

Big dog fox, so only one more to get on this bit (at present)

Must say .17 Firerball is impressive bit of kit, however foxes dont go down as well as with a 60grn V max from the .223.

I was lamp man this time, so another one for my buddy.

D

Cyres, might be worth moving up to .17 in 25grain?

i would use nothing but 25 vmax if mine was a 1 in 9 twist. i have found 20's more then enough though for the ranges i shoot to.
the fireball is a cracking round to use for vermin fox to normal shooting ranges.

Back