Thread: hole in primer

hole in primer

i was (given / loaned) some old winchester .308 180 gn silver tips. tried out a couple today. would have had a few more shots but a fallow pricket took up some of our time.
    when noticed the two shot i had were all over the place and one of the primers was punctered. only two shots is hardly scientific i know but was worried about the primer and the fact they were all over the option. rifle is parker hale 1100 lwt

any advice welcome

regards pj

pricket taken with 150 gn geco which rifle is sighted in for. took wifes cousins husband from australia out for his first stalk. to be able to take a pricket and show him the ropes made his day

You're right. Two shots tells little. Unless the pierced primer was accompanied by a gush of gas, or severe signs of leakage, it was probably of little consequence. My Hornet will occasionally puncture a primer (I load with small pistol primers) and it shows no evidence of having pierced, on game or on paper.~Muir

Thanks muir. Didn't notice any gas leakage. I hope to be able to have a proper go with the 180 gn but have a feeling from what has been said on other threads that lighter bullets will more consistent

Might be that the load is a touch on the hot side/primers are a little too soft

My standard load in .223 is 60gn V max, 26grn of Varget in neck sized Lapua brass and standard CCI primers.

Occ due to differences in case dimension (volume) some loads become compressed and these sometimes pop primers.

Also if i load heavier bullets eg 70grn V max it will pop primers for fun, so in this case use Remmington 7.5's or bench rest primers and problem resolved.

Just my experiences, Laurie Holland has wriiten on this problem is target Sports, he is a site member so you could PM him.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Might be that the load is a touch on the hot side/primers are a little too soft

My standard load in .223 is 60gn V max, 26grn of Varget in neck sized Lapua brass and standard CCI primers.

Occ due to differences in case dimension (volume) some loads become compressed and these sometimes pop primers.

Also if i load heavier bullets eg 70grn V max it will pop primers for fun, so in this case use Remmington 7.5's or bench rest primers and problem resolved.

Just my experiences, Laurie Holland has wriiten on this problem is target Sports, he is a site member so you could PM him.

D
    Compressed loads pierce primers? Or is it the reduced case volume increasing the pressure? Why does the heavier bullet pierce the primer? ~Muir

Muir,

I think it is an increase in pressure due to the load being compressed by the longer a max when loaded at the correct COL.

I will dig out LH comments when I have a spare minute.

Anyway despite this, when I change to remmy 7.5 no popped primers.

D

Muir,

I think it is an increase in pressure due to the load being compressed by the longer a max when loaded at the correct COL.

I will dig out LH comments when I have a spare minute.

Anyway despite this, when I change to remmy 7.5 no popped primers.

D
    No cause to dig. I was checking to make sure it wasn't a blanket statement about comprssed charges. (I shoot quite a few compressed loads!) I agree that seating deeper decreases powder space and can increase pressure.~Muir

PS: Remington primers are my favorite. I keep 20K of them in reserve!

Muir,

I wish!!! however that said, I have 1.5K so am unlikely ever to use them all, but if the kids start shooting who knows.

On another point when doing some load developement withh CCI primers I did have one go pop big style.

As a consequence I could not close/lock the bolt, and it turned out to be a tiny piece of the primer metal in the locking groves and this effectively jammed the bolt. Took some finding and removing, as its a sod to clean out(also lots of gunk in the breach gas vent hole).

Lots of loads in .223 are v close to full case capapcity so need to be carefull with heavier/longer bullets.

D

D

Muir,

I wish!!! however that said, I have 1.5K so am unlikely ever to use them all, but if the kids start shooting who knows.

On another point when doing some load developement withh CCI primers I did have one go pop big style.

As a consequence I could not close/lock the bolt, and it turned out to be a tiny piece of the primer metal in the locking groves and this effectively jammed the bolt. Took some finding and removing, as its a sod to clean out(also lots of gunk in the breach gas vent hole).

Lots of loads in .223 are v close to full case capapcity so need to be carefull with heavier/longer bullets.

D

D
    I have found that some rifles just aren't throated for some of the longer bullets so you need to change powders if you're going to use them. The last time I blew primers (I mean, blew) was a 17 Mach IV that ruined the brass and punched the primers with absolute minimum/starting loads. I pierced a few with a Norwegian Krag in 6.5x55 when I was young. My gunsmith uncle finally asked if I'd checked the groove diameter of the rifle. It was .262! That explained a lot! ~Muir