Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Weatherby vanguard

  1. #1

    Weatherby vanguard

    hi,
    i need to pick your brains. Does anyone have a weatherby vanguard in .243 or used one recently. Whats the verdict and how do they group with 95/100 prvi ammo. Sportsmans have a combo deal for £855, not the best i know, but i have limited funds available. i know the best option would be to wait until i get more cash but if i don't spend it soon the wife will sniff it out and spend it for me. Not looking for a long range tool, just something that will do what it says on the tin, for fox and deer.
    thanks, Fatty

  2. #2
    Vanguards/Howa’s are good rifles, I have had a few but none in 243, if funds are tight this Browning in classifieds looks a bargain:- https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?28958-Browning-.243-setup/page2
    Sportsman do not have the best rep’ in general on here.
    ATB

    Tahr

  3. #3
    Hello,I dont know a deal about the weatherby rifles but I was in a similar situation to you regarding the budget up until recently,anyway my point is your money goes much further if you buy 2nd hand and you can get higher quality kit.
    I would suggest you take a look at the cz rifles,I have 2 of these and they are very well engineered/built using good quality materials and very accurate and longlived.The thing with cz stuff is that it doesnt have a fancy name and there is alot of snobbery in shooting so this makes them cheap to buy 2nd hand.So checkout the guntrader site and look at the .243 stuff they have for sale (449 to choose from ) I spotted a cz 550 for £295 and it looks a corker!
    I have cz's in .17hmr and 6.5 x 55 both group most factory ammo very very well indeed,also they look and feel like proper rifles aswell ,cheers lee

  4. #4
    Just to re inforce LSF on this, I have Sako's alongside CZ's, that are next to Howa's, ALL great pieces of engineering, all in the same usage!, dropping stuff with accurate loads.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by HotDogsForTea View Post
    hi,
    i need to pick your brains. Does anyone have a weatherby vanguard in .243 or used one recently. Whats the verdict and how do they group with 95/100 prvi ammo. Fatty
    Sorry to have to tell you this but no one who has not tried that Privi ammunition through THAT rifle can tell you how it will shoot through it.

    May I suggest you try to handle a few rifles then go for the one which fits you best and feels best to you when you shoulder it.

    Now for rifles not sure what sort/style your looking for but just searching the guntrader site fo new you have a choice of Browning, Winchester, Savage, Titan for £600 of less and Tikka T3 hunters begin around the £625 mark.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by LSF View Post
    Hello,I dont know a deal about the weatherby rifles but I was in a similar situation to you regarding the budget up until recently,anyway my point is your money goes much further if you buy 2nd hand and you can get higher quality kit.
    I would suggest you take a look at the cz rifles,I have 2 of these and they are very well engineered/built using good quality materials and very accurate and longlived.The thing with cz stuff is that it doesnt have a fancy name and there is alot of snobbery in shooting so this makes them cheap to buy 2nd hand.So checkout the guntrader site and look at the .243 stuff they have for sale (449 to choose from ) I spotted a cz 550 for £295 and it looks a corker!
    I have cz's in .17hmr and 6.5 x 55 both group most factory ammo very very well indeed,also they look and feel like proper rifles aswell ,cheers lee
    I have to agree , I tried sako, blaser, browning .The weatherby is a good rilfe , the later jap copy Howa , i dont know of. But when it comes to reliable accurate shots & trusty workmanship , all my cz 's from 22H to 308 do the trick. No faffing & on the ball. The oldest 22H of 1978 & in my hands 3000+ shots thru,( i bought all s/h) then a 223 1982 , with afew 1000 thru, The 308 shoots from sub-sonic loads at 10g to 44gr long shots, all in a 'V' bull, at various distance & none collect dust , been used daily/ weekly.

    Try a few diffrent brands, personal choice will help confidence

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MrYou View Post
    I have to agree , I tried sako, blaser, browning .The weatherby is a good rilfe , the later jap copy Howa ,
    sorry to inform you MrYou but Weatherby don't actually make a rifle ................................ they're all made by others for them. Howa make the Vanguards and Weatherby adds some of the price for their name when in fact it should be a discount/reduction .................................................. ..... .

    I have to agree used is the way to go in most cases but sometimes only new will scratch that itch.

  8. #8
    I can't speak for the .243, but I have three HOWA rifles under my roof right now and all shoot very well, indeed. One is a 270, the next a 30-06, and the last a 223. If I find a 2nd hand 243 I'll be buying it as well. I like HOWA rifles. Well engineered and well made. They take Remington scope mounting gear as well which had led to the notion that they are a "copy" of the 700 Remington. Not so.~Muir

  9. #9
    i recently purchased a weather by in .243 and so far I'm impressed shoots tight groups with 100gr ammo Remington & hornaday not tried privvi as i have had consistency issues with it in other calibers

  10. #10
    Thanks for your advice folks. I think i will have to visit a couple of dealers further afield ( because there aint many up my neck of the woods ) and take it from there.
    cheers, FATTY.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-08-2011, 11:39
  2. weatherby vanguard carbine in 243
    By callie in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-04-2011, 21:10
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-03-2011, 10:22
  4. Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA Stainless
    By 2428 miles in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-03-2008, 14:52
  5. Advice on Weatherby Vanguard anyone got one??
    By normski in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24-01-2008, 08:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •