Weatherby vanguard

HotDogsForTea

hi,
i need to pick your brains. Does anyone have a weatherby vanguard in .243 or used one recently. Whats the verdict and how do they group with 95/100 prvi ammo. Sportsmans have a combo deal for £855, not the best i know, but i have limited funds available. i know the best option would be to wait until i get more cash but if i don't spend it soon the wife will sniff it out and spend it for me. Not looking for a long range tool, just something that will do what it says on the tin, for fox and deer.
thanks, Fatty

Hello,I dont know a deal about the weatherby rifles but I was in a similar situation to you regarding the budget up until recently,anyway my point is your money goes much further if you buy 2nd hand and you can get higher quality kit.
I would suggest you take a look at the cz rifles,I have 2 of these and they are very well engineered/built using good quality materials and very accurate and longlived.The thing with cz stuff is that it doesnt have a fancy name and there is alot of snobbery in shooting so this makes them cheap to buy 2nd hand.So checkout the guntrader site and look at the .243 stuff they have for sale (449 to choose from ) I spotted a cz 550 for £295 and it looks a corker!
I have cz's in .17hmr and 6.5 x 55 both group most factory ammo very very well indeed,also they look and feel like proper rifles aswell ,cheers lee

Just to re inforce LSF on this, I have Sako's alongside CZ's, that are next to Howa's, ALL great pieces of engineering, all in the same usage!, dropping stuff with accurate loads.

hi,
i need to pick your brains. Does anyone have a weatherby vanguard in .243 or used one recently. Whats the verdict and how do they group with 95/100 prvi ammo. Fatty

Sorry to have to tell you this but no one who has not tried that Privi ammunition through THAT rifle can tell you how it will shoot through it.

May I suggest you try to handle a few rifles then go for the one which fits you best and feels best to you when you shoulder it.

Now for rifles not sure what sort/style your looking for but just searching the guntrader site fo new you have a choice of Browning, Winchester, Savage, Titan for £600 of less and Tikka T3 hunters begin around the £625 mark.

Hello,I dont know a deal about the weatherby rifles but I was in a similar situation to you regarding the budget up until recently,anyway my point is your money goes much further if you buy 2nd hand and you can get higher quality kit.
I would suggest you take a look at the cz rifles,I have 2 of these and they are very well engineered/built using good quality materials and very accurate and longlived.The thing with cz stuff is that it doesnt have a fancy name and there is alot of snobbery in shooting so this makes them cheap to buy 2nd hand.So checkout the guntrader site and look at the .243 stuff they have for sale (449 to choose from ) I spotted a cz 550 for £295 and it looks a corker!
I have cz's in .17hmr and 6.5 x 55 both group most factory ammo very very well indeed,also they look and feel like proper rifles aswell ,cheers lee

I have to agree , I tried sako, blaser, browning .The weatherby is a good rilfe , the later jap copy Howa , i dont know of. But when it comes to reliable accurate shots & trusty workmanship , all my cz 's from 22H to 308 do the trick. No faffing & on the ball. The oldest 22H of 1978 & in my hands 3000+ shots thru,( i bought all s/h) then a 223 1982 , with afew 1000 thru, The 308 shoots from sub-sonic loads at 10g to 44gr long shots, all in a 'V' bull, at various distance & none collect dust , been used daily/ weekly.

Try a few diffrent brands, personal choice will help confidence ;)

I have to agree , I tried sako, blaser, browning .The weatherby is a good rilfe , the later jap copy Howa ,

:lol: sorry to inform you MrYou but Weatherby don't actually make a rifle ................................ they're all made by others for them. Howa make the Vanguards and Weatherby adds some of the price for their name when in fact it should be a discount/reduction ....................................................... ;).

I have to agree used is the way to go in most cases but sometimes only new will scratch that itch.

I can't speak for the .243, but I have three HOWA rifles under my roof right now and all shoot very well, indeed. One is a 270, the next a 30-06, and the last a 223. If I find a 2nd hand 243 I'll be buying it as well. I like HOWA rifles. Well engineered and well made. They take Remington scope mounting gear as well which had led to the notion that they are a "copy" of the 700 Remington. Not so.~Muir

i recently purchased a weather by in .243 and so far I'm impressed shoots tight groups with 100gr ammo Remington & hornaday not tried privvi as i have had consistency issues with it in other calibers

Thanks for your advice folks. I think i will have to visit a couple of dealers further afield ( because there aint many up my neck of the woods ) and take it from there.
cheers, FATTY.

Only problem I know with Howa is that the bolt on the stainless version is also stainless. Bolt lugs
like to gal somewhat.
edi

I have one in .243 and it is an excellent rifle,not too keen on the synthetic stock but that can be rectified, it will cloverleaf with my 60 grn handloads and groups around .75 of an inch @ 100 yds with winchester 100grn factory stuff, :tiphat:

beware the sportsman still waiting for them to sort my game fair order from july ---shite would never use again

Only problem I know with Howa is that the bolt on the stainless version is also stainless. Bolt lugs
like to gal somewhat.
edi

Is that from your own experience? I have owned two Howas in stainless steel, I still own the 223 and would not have sold my 308 had I not bought my Accuracy International.
I have neve had any problems with either of them.

No galling on any of my stainless, Howa's or otherwise, some people have dropped bolts & damaged them slightly, then refitted & galling has occured.

Is that from your own experience? I have owned two Howas in stainless steel, I still own the 223 and would not have sold my 308 had I not bought my Accuracy International.
I have neve had any problems with either of them.

Yes my own experience, tried many things. Even after a rebarrel and new lapping.
Check German forums where Howas are very popular, rated as number one fault of Howa stainless.
One custom rifle builder I know therefore recomends using the non stainless bolt when building
Howa custom rifles.
Maybe Howa has looked into it in the meantime. No engineer would use two "soft" stainless surfaces
as bearing partners...or?
edi

I have a Howa 1500 in .243 and its a great piece of engineering i've never had a group over one and a half inch at 100 yards put lots of ammo through it, but i would never insult it with Privi !

Nothing wrong with using two bearing sufaces of the same hardness, or even odd hardnesses, just get your tolerances correct!, simples, & dont blame the manufacturer for someone elses cockups.:lol:

Sorry Finnbear, absolute basics of engineering. Stainless on stainless loves to gal.
In Howa's case it is a fact. Howa chose a wrong material pairing nobody elses fault.
Other than that I love the Howa's.
If I get another I'll get a blued one.
edi

Back