Much noise up north from the beasties?

Paul at Fechan

have the cold nights come in yet to kick of the sika and reds into good voice? cheers

Can't get up for bloody work yet!

out yesterday and seen 3different stags with hinds all were roaring with the biggest one constantly rounding up the 20 hinds he has amassed but they were all over the march and i got distracted when i spied a fox curled up on the side of the hill watching what was going on and had a great stalk into it and nailed it with 308 which made a good day for me as id missed one at night on wednesday, not too far from there so hopefully it was the same one.rut very slow up to now and that was the first roaring id heard.on our way back we were lamping for foxes and there was a biggish stag with hinds near the farm but he wasnt even black and he was grazing so he hasnt started in full swing,going to go down this afternoon see if i can catch up with him although its wet and windy as it has been the past 3 weeks which has held the stags back as in some of the ground south of oban stags normally start roaring by mid september without fail but not this year

Heard the first roar on the hill on Thursday [stags in the forestry been roaring for about a week] stags on the hill still
in bachelor groups but a bit of half hearted roaring and signs of aggression would expect them to break any day now.

In Sutherland we were kept awake at night by the roaring, that was the week of the 12th Sept. They were roaring out on the open hill as well.

willie_gunn

Took a 10 pointer off the hill the brother shot yesterday and no roaring at all although the stag was holding hinds.Maybe a wee frost or chilly spell will bring them on.

We have had 5 stags this week and a couple have had empty stomachs, the one I got on Tue was starting to whiff a bit. The cuffs on the jacket arent smelling the sweetest

Been hearing roaring all week, stags are chasing hinds but still seeing groups of stags

Calling grand style in Moray forestry yesterday.

Bit throaty this morning from roaring yesterday on an outing. Worked though - although no chance of shot. Think I'm progessing up the scale from Dale Winton to about Rick Gervais. Ultimate aim is to make Richard Burton. Anyone else rate their calling and stags eye view of the 'threat' or am I just very strange? ( answer NOT required )

Paul,

Andy and I were out this morning, heard four different Stags roaring - one on the face opposite us was holding hinds.

:doh:Was hoping to get up this weekend but had to go into work on saturday, can you feel my frustration!!! The 8th of next month is the earliest I can get up now :evil:

We have had 5 stags this week and a couple have had empty stomachs, the one I got on Tue was starting to whiff a bit. The cuffs on the jacket arent smelling the sweetest

Been hearing roaring all week, stags are chasing hinds but still seeing groups of stags

I got a box of those veterinary examination gloves a few years ago that go right up to the armpit over the jacket. No more stink upsetting the wife... :lol:

Hello paul, the reds are roaring well at present in Ross shire, weather still very mild though, could do with some frost to bring them on a bit, sika are rutting but hearing them whistling is a bit of a hit and miss for me so far. The japs are responding well to the sceery call though.

Just got back from Galloway....they're just about to kick off there. Some roaring from commission ground nearby & a big 16 stone 10 pointer downed by a good friend last Thur. evening. Great stuff. Cheers, :tiphat:

rut

Was out saturday 24th spean bridge stags roaring morning and evening,but still saw groups of stags and hinds.Almost had a collision on road with about 20 beasts at glencoe
they just stood there as i drove by at 4am on way to ground.

heard the first roar on the north coast last monday although there are still squads of stags on the hill, had 1 wiffy stag on tuesday but everything after still clean, need a frost but the forcast doesn't look good for this week coming, can only wait and see what happens.

Sounds promiseing guys, how do you think with this warm weather for this week will affect the rut ? Has anybody any news on the rut for the Lake District ?

Was out at Callander on Saturday, never heard any roaring all day, and saw three younger stags still together, managed to shoot a yearling staggie and an enjoyable day, but weather is very mild just now.

Moose

The reds were roaring and the japs were whistling last night and this morning, on one of my bits and there is activity on the bit on the other side of the loch to yours mate. So it should be OK when you are next up.

John

Back