Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catridges

Catridges

I have recently bought new catridges for the start of the pheasant season. Black gold game 5's 32 grams they cost me 262 for 1000 anyone know where i can get them cheaper in central scotland?

Listen to your old grandad!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats a serious load for the birds youll be shooting young un.... Pure gold 30grms would be a better load!!! An even better load IMO is Hull 3 crown 30grm 5's..
    Last edited by nuttyspaniel; 26-09-2011 at 11:40.

Depends how high the birds are though? I'd throw 36g gram 5's at them if they were coming off rising ground at height. It's only an extra 20% of shot or 8 yards more on your reach. To be fair, 30g at 20 yards up is a bit of a pillow fight hit centre pattern

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    Depends how high the birds are though? I'd throw 36g gram 5's at them if they were coming off rising ground at height. It's only an extra 20% of shot or 8 yards more on your reach. To be fair, 30g at 20 yards up is a bit of a pillow fight hit centre pattern
    Fair point if the birds are 40-50yds high. The pure gold 30grms are a very very good load. And are more than capable of taking birds 40 yds up if the shots put in the right place. I started beating 27 years ago and seen good driven guns taking Pheasant out to 40yds with Hull 3 crown 30grms. I cant remember seeing these super fast heavy game loads on the shelf back then.. Ooops sorry there was a load like that!!! Alphamax we used them on hares and decoyed geese..

nutty
    Last edited by nuttyspaniel; 26-09-2011 at 11:51. Reason: To add alphamax.

Quote Originally Posted by MARKSP View Post
    I have recently bought new catridges for the start of the pheasant season. Black gold game 5's 32 grams they cost me 262 for 1000 anyone know where i can get them cheaper in central scotland?
    That's very cheap! Just cartridges want 297 for a thousand fibre wads (289 plastic) plus 15 delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    what a load of poppy cot
    I use 1 ounce loads out of my 20g and they seem to cope with the tallest birds this country has to offer
    it's not always the cartridge that is not upto the mark

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    what a load of poppy cot
    I use 1 ounce loads out of my 20g and they seem to cope with the tallest birds this country has to offer
    it's not always the cartridge that is not upto the mark
    Rich to be fair its a bit flat where you are mate just right for the little 20 i suppose
    regards pete .

They are high birds! they certainly work and there is little recoil of them. no idea where to buy them cheap?
    Last edited by MARKSP; 27-09-2011 at 18:08. Reason: spelling

I think you will need all the lead in the air you can get this year young Grasshopper?

Quote Originally Posted by MARKSP View Post
    They are high birds! they certainly work and there is little recoil of them. no idea where to buy them cheap?

remember last year when you shot next to me in that planting? I was on the fence side can you remeber the pigeon I shot? That was with a gold!! Those birds were not over high mate but fast. You missed a few with those black carts, as soon as you put the golds in the birds fell. I cam still remember someone telling you I told you so and it wasnt me!!.... As for prices 262 is about right for the golds (which recoil the same as the blacks), the blacks are about 290 per 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU will struggle to get them cheaper youngling. Hey the birds are good on that shoot but only on 1 drive I saw I would say they are HIGH birds mate, your grandad was a back gun at that drive. Im only trying to steer you in the right direction. But hey ho if you want to shoot black gold and spend more money than you need fire on bud, after all its your dosh!!!!