Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time fac

SD Regular

first time fac

Having just had a mate out with me all wknd , bunnie bashing he has asked me to help him apply for a .22 rf .
    He has held a shotgun for 20yr +

How can he word his application to get an open ticket ?
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

Move to North Yorkshire!

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Move to North Yorkshire!
    Ask a simple question !

Get a muppet answer !!!!

I think alot of it depends on the issuing force. I am with South Yorkshire and tried for a open ticket on my first application about 2 months ago only to be told that it would not be considered on a first application, but from what I can gather if I had lived in North Yorkshire it would have been open without even asking.

The only other way it may be considered is if your mate is a full time professional vermin controller.

Quote Originally Posted by shudadunityonksago View Post
    Ask a simple question !

Get a muppet answer !!!!
    A little harsh. Lancs seem rather petty when it comes to firearms licensing (stories of being allowed to use a .243 for foxes alone but mentored for deer). This forum and others are littered with such criticism. North Yorkshire treat firearms holders like adults and give open tickets for anything suitable to use in this country, never been bothered by daft mentoring conditions etc.

From my knowledge of Lancs your mate will get a closed cert.

Move to North Yorkshire!
    I hav to agree
    each force has it's own idea's on what an open ticket means and when an applicant is classed as suitable for such conditions

SD Regular
    The land he has to shoot over is in North Yorks , we both share it and i was given an open ticket 10yr ago for the same calibre . iI know lancs can be difficult depending who answers the phone .

Ive got a visit booked in for a ammo safe inspection i will have a word to him direct .

I think alot of it depends on the issuing force.
    As Wayneinthepub says it comes down to the issuing force. 20 yrs+ with shotgun, will not count for much. Probably Closed!

I'm tempted to ask Cheshire to open mine after 2.5 years. But then again I think I might win the Lottery in the next few weeks!!
    Last edited by Gingwa; 25-09-2011 at 23:20. Reason: Missed sentence

Is it really down to the issuing force? or may be the issuing force takes each indavidual application on its own merits? ways up what they think about the application and the applicant and then makes the descission from there? in my expierence of FLA they seem to apply different ruels to different people, not based on location.

if they think you can be trusted then they tend to be very good, if they know little about you then expect to be baby sat. i would think if your pal has been through 20yrs of SGC renewals etc then the issuing force may well give him what he asks for.

only way to find out is to apply.

good luck

Skipp.

A little harsh. Lancs seem rather petty when it comes to firearms licensing (stories of being allowed to use a .243 for foxes alone but mentored for deer). This forum and others are littered with such criticism. North Yorkshire treat firearms holders like adults and give open tickets for anything suitable to use in this country, never been bothered by daft mentoring conditions etc.

From my knowledge of Lancs your mate will get a closed cert.
    I gather that part of this reply is refering to me , and to a certain extent I have to agree that it does seem a little questionable as to why I should need have to have "an experienced stalker" with me to shoot deer(A form of mentoring) while I can shoot foxes with my .243 unacompanied and on an open ticket. Surely the whole idea of imposing "mentoring conditions" such as these are to ensure public safety (which I agree with) but I fail to see how there is more of a risk to public safety while out while out deer stalking/culling in daylight than there is while lamping foxes?
    Anyway, putting all of that aside, I do not believe for one minute that Lancashire will give your friend an open ticket straight away as this is not their "norm". I had to wait for just over 18 months till they gave me an open tocket for my rimfire and another 9 months till they gave me an open ticket for my .243 (for fox) but I still have a closed ticket for deer! I am not overly worried about the "Accompanied Condition" as I am expecting a letter from "an experienced stalker" (who I might add is an accredited witness for the DSC and has witnessed me (Safely and competently) shooting a total of 11 deer) any time now stating that he has acompanied me on several stalks and culls and that I there is no reason why i should need an accompanied condition any longer so the "Accompanied condition" should be lifted and then there should be no reason why my FAC should not be changed to "Fully Open" for all of my shooting with all of my rifles!
    Having said that I wish your friend luck, you never know, miracles have been known to happen!