forestry comision pickups

fly tyer

hi folks,
im looking for an ex commision ford ranger pickup, does anybody no what sort of money they go for and who deals in the ex forestry vehicles?

cheers

Two were sold at BCA Glasgow on Thursday 22 Sep. They are actually owned by Lex Vehicle Leasing. These ones weren't ordinary pick ups, they were rangers' Rangers, if you know what I mean. They had dog cage, Bratton gun safe, roof mounted lamping light (working), extractor fan (one worked, the thermostat on the other was broken), Truckman top, load liner, electric Superwinch in the back (though the remote control seemed to be missing from each), 4 external HiLift jacking points (one had the jack), goodish tyres and in good condition for age and mileage. They were both 06 plates, one was 50 odd the other 60 odd thousand miles, with reasonable MOTs. They probably came with a good service history (mine, which I bought a wee while back and is soooo much better an example :) certainly did). There was pretty brisk bidding and they both sold for the top side of £4000, but were subject to VAT, and the buyer's fee (which varies according to how much business you do with BCA and is also subject to VAT) so would cost the private punter pushing £5500 to get out the door. "Ordinary" ex-FC Ford Rangers, without the goodies, fetch the going used Ford Ranger rate.

Anything else you'd like to know?

A lot of their 'decent' ones get snapped up by FC members of staff, depending on which region they are in they can do most of their miles at low revs and off road, not the best for an engine, from what Ive seen the knackered ones go for more than they are worth given how tatty they can be, and the cleaner ones hit the high 5k mark all day long. That said, if you then want to go and buy all the gubbins to kit one out with winches etc you'd be forking out, and all that is done for you with the FC ones. Put it this way, I work for them, and wouldn't touch one (that I could afford)........

tbh the atraction for me is the way that they are set up and as im always on my own dont require the back seats, does aybody know who builds the dog gaurd for bedind the front seats? as i would like to creat a simlar type of vehicle.

I have a mate that works for the FC as a mechanic at their workshop in Aberfoyle and he said they get badly treated and are repaired on a minimum spend as they are leased and are not theirs to worry about re-sale.. basically they are patched up and are not really maintained prior to end of lease.

I have a mate that works for the FC as a mechanic at their workshop in Aberfoyle and he said they get badly treated and are repaired on a minimum spend as they are leased and are not theirs to worry about re-sale.. basically they are patched up and are not really maintained prior to end of lease.

As are most of these vehicles when there not your OWN, lack of due care + attention springs to mind.

Rekon it's a case of F**K It it no mine, am not pay'n for it!!!!

Rgds, Buck.

PS. Lex Direct in Stirling. Dont know if they deal with Public, I used to pick from them (Transporter)

I used to work for the Environment Agency Fisheries division and wouldnt touch one of their ex vehicles if you paid for it.
used and abused. yes they may get serviced and have good stamps but i know what I did to them and I was kind and knew what a diff lock was!
one of my team drove 25 miles with a 14 foot indespension trailer loaded with nets.....with the hand brake on!
cue small fire when the wheels finally caught alight!

One of our syndicate members just bought a 2008 Ranger with 50k on the clock in white and it has never been used in the back with an unsratched loadliner for £7,000.. i would rather convert that into a shoot vehicle. The most important thing about buying a vehicle is what you will get for it when you sell and i reckon FC green may be a difficult vehicle to move?

One of our syndicate members just bought a 2008 Ranger with 50k on the clock in white and it has never been used in the back with an unsratched loadliner for £7,000.. i would rather convert that into a shoot vehicle. The most important thing about buying a vehicle is what you will get for it when you sell and i reckon FC green may be a difficult vehicle to move?

exactly what i did , more or less !

i bought a ranger king cab off my brother in law with 65,000 on the clock , took the back seats out , a friend of mine made me a steel gun box out of a 8x4 sheet of stainless steel , and i made a dog guard out of wire mesh to put on top of it and then bolted a 3 1/2ton winch on a mount straight through to the chassy in the back !

the ramp in the back is out of a FC ranger , the beauty of have a truck like this is that if you get fell into some reds of fallow /sika etc and you can get the truck to them in the field , you can winch them up , gralloch them on the ramp and crank them in !

also ive done it in a way that its completly reversable so if i did sell it to a non stalker , it can be put right !

best thing i ever did !:D

Last edited:
I see, hope you've got some padding in there for that bang stick of yours!

oh yes !

the box is made for my dosco hard plastic rifle case , so i just slide the case in and lock it up . but i do admit i only really use it when im traveling , if im stalking locally the rifle is beside me in the truck in its slip ready to be loaded and used as required :D

Back