Thread: Boar shooting with rifled slug

Boar shooting with rifled slug

Hi Guys
    Would it be legal over here to use a smooth bored/cylinder shotgun in 12 guage with a rifled slug for boar (or deer come to that). I believe this is OK on the continent and that the ammo' used is made by Brenek??
    I guess the FAO might have a different view but in theory would it be legal
    Also, anybody using a drilling/rifling of any description on here?

all the best
    Buckstalker

It would be legal, but obviously you'd need the slugs and the shotgun (if sec. 1) to be conditioned for boar.

I have solid slug for use on both Deer and Wild Boar on my Fac with my 5 shot Benelli .

Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

I have solid slug for use on both Deer and Wild Boar on my Fac with my 5 shot Benelli .

Arent Cumbria Constabulary great!! Lancashire will only let me possess 20 rounds of slug ammo at any one time for humane dispatch!! I think I might move back over the border soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post

Arent Cumbria Constabulary great!! Lancashire will only let me possess 20 rounds of slug ammo at any one time for humane dispatch!! I think I might move back over the border soon!!
    yes they are good .I can hold /buy 250 slugs at a time
    Bob.
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

And for boar are you restricted to 12 gauge or could you also 16 bore conditioned as well? I use a combination gun in 7x65r and 16 bore. Not a lot to choose between a 16 and 12 guage slug.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 27-09-2011 at 08:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    And for boar are you restricted to 12 gauge or could you also 16 bore conditioned as well? I use a combination gun in 7x65r and 16 bore. Not a lot to choose between a 16 and 12 guage slug.
    I don't believe you'll find anything restricting you to any particular bore or slug, or even shot size for that matter, with regard to wild boar - although use of an inadequate bullet/shot might run foul of animal welfare legislation if uneccessary suffering were caused. There are simply no stipulations because there is no primary legislation out there for boar - just 'advice' in the HO Guidance that rifles be .270 or above. If you want to use S.1 firearms or ammo (slug) on boar you'll need a condition on your FAC of course, but this can be either specific or as 'any other lawful quarry'.
    Last edited by Orion; 27-09-2011 at 13:22.

Thanks for the info' guys
    Another question-obvious I dare say but-"you'd need the slugs and the shotgun (if sec. 1) to be conditioned for boar".
    What does the conditioned mean. Is it simlpy a satement on the FAC that the SG can, or can only, be used on boar.
    Obviously this makes sense when the slugs are used but can the SG still be used for normal cylinder close shooting with shot, say decoying.

Buckstalker

Buckstalker, two different articles here. You can have slugs on your FAC just as ammunition for use on whatever quarry it states in the accompanying condition. You can then use said slugs in a 'normal' S.2 shotgun with a 24"+ barrel provided you do not breach said condition - the 'any other lawful quarry' condition comes in handy there. Of course you can also have a S.1 shotgun if you wish but it is not a requirement in order to use the slugs. S.1 shotguns with extended magazine capacities as I understand it cannot be used for some forms of shooting - including wildfowling if I have read other threads on here correctly. Hope that clarifys it a bit.