Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Deer Welfare

Red Deer Welfare

I don't know if this is the right section, but there is a childrens petting zoo near me with a pen of red deer. I believe these deer are former farm/park deer, although they have no ear tags. This pen contains a stag (12 pointer), an unrelated hind, a hind which is the daughter of the stag and a staggie which is the son of the stag. This pen is approx 20m x 15m. There is a small field shelter. There is also a bottle fed hind which freely wanders the 40 acre sight.

The animals are in this pen 12months a year. The staggie gets beaten the hell out of during the rut, and was is very poor condition last winter. The deer have been in this pen for a number of years, so god knows what the parasite burden for the area is. During the winter the whole area turns to mud, and the deer sink to their ankles. They are fed hay and sugar beat shreds during this time.

I am very concerned about the welfare of these deer, especially the staggie. I have offered to shoot the staggie several times, but the owners tell me he doesn't get attacked when the rut is not on, so they think it is ok. I don't trust the RSPCA as far as I can piss .Who can I report this to?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
    Last edited by unlacedgecko; 26-09-2011 at 19:53.

Where in Northumberland?

Its not in Northumberland mate.

It's not out the back of consett by any chance is it?

I'm not thinking about knitsley but another place
    Last edited by novice; 27-09-2011 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by unlacedgecko View Post
    I don't know if this is the right section, but there is a childrens petting zoo near me with a pen of red deer. I believe these deer are former farm/park deer, although they have no ear tags. This pen contains a stag (12 pointer), an unrelated hind, a hind which is the daughter of the stag and a staggie which is the son of the stag. This pen is approx 20m x 15m. There is a small field shelter. There is also a bottle fed hind which freely wanders the 40 acre sight.

The animals are in this pen 12months a year. The staggie gets beaten the hell out of during the rut, and was is very poor condition last winter. The deer have been in this pen for a number of years, so god knows what the parasite burden for the area is. During the winter the whole area turns to mud, and the deer sink to their ankles. They are fed hay and sugar beat shreds during this time.

I am very concerned about the welfare of these deer, especially the staggie. I have offered to shoot the staggie several times, but the owners tell me he doesn't get attacked when the rut is not on, so they think it is ok. I don't trust the RSPCA as far as I can piss .Who can I report this to?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
    Irrespective of how far you can wee the RSPCA should be the best to try.

HWH.

Well you say your located in northumberland and you say these deer are near you?

Why not contact your loacal BDS, they are after all a deer welfare organisation not a stalking one, time for them to do something worthwhile with my money, if they do not take the BDS advice the R***** can’t bring myself to type the w**Kers name, might be the only way forward.

ATB

Tahr

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be contacting the BDS and the DEFRA vets first thing on Monday. I've moved from Northumberland but don't know how to re-set my profile?

Have emailed BDS. They are sending a representative to the site. I will keep you informed of any developments.

Quote Originally Posted by unlacedgecko View Post
    I am very concerned about the welfare of these deer, especially the staggie. I have offered to shoot the staggie several times,

Alex
    no offence here Alex
    but I showed this thread to my OH
    her first reaction was
    "why do all do gooders in the know , feel that animal welfare is about destroying the animal they want to protect"

she has a point
    I personally would of just informed the RSPCA as they are a charity that can, I may not like or trust them like yourself
    But I don't think the BDS rep will carry that sort of sway or power that the RSPCA will
    let's hope there is a good outcome allround