Thread: Firearms Certificate

Firearms Certificate

Hello im 18 and want a FAC
    i have used air rifles since i was 14 yrs old and was wondering how easy it is to apply for one
    i live on a farm in carmarthenshire, wales and need a more powerful gun to controll all the pest eg foxes and rabbits

i wanted a .22lr gsg 5 rifle

i live on the farm but i want to store the guns at a different premisis as i am there more than the farm
    also the farm had an armed robbery a few yrs back so would this stop me from getting it

can anyone help thanks

You will find it useful if you join a bona-fide rifle shooting club (support & advice from other members, range facilities and keeps the police happy).regarding your security obtain a copy of the home office guidance to police (available to download from the BASC website and may other places), this gives advice on security, having been a victim of crime will not be a problem but particular attention will be paid to your cabinet, how it is secured, whether the building is secured (window & door locks) and possibly also alarmed.

SD Regular
    Ben, welcome to the site.

Tim is right, joining a club will help your cause and more importantly, get you the advice you need. To own a rifle under firearms legislation, you need the land on which to shoot it and just cause. It would appear you have both. The rifle (and ammunition) should both be secured at your normal place of residence (in other words where you can keep a good eye on it). Transport of the rifle is OK as going to and from the land you shoot is just cause for carrying it. I think you should go and have a chat with your local firearms officer (or invite him round for a cup of tea) - he will be the best source of advice and be a real ally if he believes you have a good case. One word of caution - I do not know of any force in the UK that will condition a 22LR for the shooting of foxes - you may only shoot what your certificate says you may with that particular rifle. You may well need to ask for a larger calibre for fox, but this is where getting yourself under the wing of someone experienced at a club and learning more about the sport will pay real dividends.

Please feel free to PM if you want to chat further. Take care

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

i live on the farm but i want to store the guns at a different premisis as i am there more than the farm

You mean your main residence is not the farm but you visit and overnight?
    I think you will need secure storage at both sites so factor this into the costs

i wanted a .22lr gsg 5 rifle

GSG5= German Sports Gun 5

i live on a farm in carmarthenshire, wales and need a more powerful gun to controll all the pest eg foxes and rabbits

If you want to shoot rabbits and foxes buy a proper rifle/calibre combo for the job and not a looky likey HK MP5

Strange choice of rifle for pest/vermin control, unless you are aiming to frighten them away rather than shoot them.

LINK added in edit.
    Last edited by neil_r; 27-09-2011 at 09:43. Reason: Link added

Quote Originally Posted by neil_r View Post
    Strange choice of rifle for pest/vermin control, unless you are aiming to frighten them away rather than shoot them.

LINK added in edit.
    Hmmmm yes thats what I thought, you should think about getting an accurate bolt action .22lr, get some experience on the bunnies and at The club if you join one,then when you have some experience then ask for a proper calibre for shooting foxes,A.22hornet or a .222 would be a good start. but most of all get some time put in with someone experienced who will teach you all about safe shooting, both at night and day. good luck.

Account Suspended
    ben (welcome)

yes as said, your choice of rifle is nothing short of barmy, im sure that would even "RAISE THE EYE BROWS OF YOUR FEO" LOOK AT BOLT ACTION 22lr,s OR 17hmr but keep it sensible. you would look like a modern day action man at BEST!!!! there is loads of help and experiance on this site, so go have a wonder around a couple of gun shops and see what they have, on the fox side of shooting although the above rifles will kill them with zero knowledge like you have you should think of a suitible calibre for them say 223-222.50 EVEN better think on doing your DSC level one, you will pick up so much knowledge and your first intro into safe rifle handeling and usage if anything i would strongly reccomend that to you. anyhow welcome and good luck sakowsm