Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this what is to be expected ??

Is this what is to be expected ??

As title I have just done my first home loads using.
    Sako 75 .243 1-10 twist using 95 gr Honady ssts Norma once fired brass (my own ) CCI primers Hogden Varget powder.
    After loading 20 rounds in increments of .5 grains
    1st 4 off 33 gr
    2nd 4 off 33.5
    3rd 4 off 34
    4th 4 off 34.5
    5th 4 off 35
    Had these loads off Hogden site.
    My first 4 were crap to say the least best a string of 4 measuring 2 inches
    My second 4 were brilliant all 4 less than a five pence piece
    My third four back to a 2 inch string
    My fourth lot were worse a 3 inch group
    My last lot were acceptable all 4 were well within an inch
    Obviously the second lot were the best, but am I to expect this much variation just by going 0.5 gr every time.
    Realy confused as I was not expecting that much differance any advice is most wellcome.
    Cheers Chris.

i would not have expected thast sort of variance from a .5 grain powder increase alone, i would think some other factors where at play, namley bullet seat height, bullet head concentricty etc etc. im sure others will comment, its just my oppinion but thats a hughe leap from 1/4inch out to 2inch.

One things for sure your secound load sounds like its a winner! congrats.

skipp

out of those i would go for the 35 grains again but try some at different col this should shrink that 1 inch grouping. well giving you a bit more speed and ftlb then the others loads you tested.

as long as your getting no pressure signs running that charge
    Last edited by jay 22; 29-09-2011 at 15:51.

Hi,
    I am assuming you are using the load data on hogdons site for the Nosler partitions, although I donít have a max load for the Hornady sst's to hand, one bullet of the same weight does not necessarily have the same powder parameters as another. I would tentatively suggest trying .1 of a grain increments around the 35 grain load you have developed so far, as well as around the 33.5 grain load, shooting 5 round groups, once you are happy that you have got the best possible weight, start adjusting the seating depth, once you are happy with an overall length try the weight again.

Two caveats/ Warnings to add.

Firstly, in a box of 100 Hornady spbt's in 7mm-08 I recently recorded a variance in bullet length of and between .015". Its worth checking every new box of bullets, otherwise you will start pulling your hair out when trying to seat to within a couple of thou.

Secondly if you are developing loads around or above the manufacturers recommended limits find out what pressure signs are and watch for them and once you have developed a load if you are introducing a component from another batch, ie new box of primers, different case, etc knock back the powder and build up again.

Be careful!!!

Like others said, probably a multitude of variables at play, and those being over-exaggerated by the various loads.

However, stop now!,,stick with 33.5, 5 at less than a 5p coin, you will not get better than that, it's no point trying if this is for a stalking rifle, you'll just and up working your way away from what is already 99% perfect, and wasting a lot of time and materials.

I found my ultimate load using .5 increments and just using a 1 bullet diameter seating. 4 loads around the good one were around 1", but the right one almost one-holed. this was also with varget and 35.5 using .243 1:10 once used norma, cci, and hornady 87g.

you probably think it's too good to be true, finding a sweetspot that fast, and it's not supposed to be that easy, or that the process didn't 'test' you enough...but sometimes you just fall right over a great load very fast, it happens!

Thank you all for the advice but I have made up my mind to load a few more at 33.5 gr and see what happens PKL just confirmed my thoughts
    Thanks again
    Chris.

Chris

Well done. Can you keep us posted on how the second trial goes?

Thanks JCS

as already said stick with 33.5 gr all i would do is load up another half a dozen fire 2 seperate grouping of 3 shots just to double check then dont touch a thing dont try changing the head spacing, bullet type, bullet weight or even the primer because to be honest i dont think your going to beat a 5p grouping thats bloody good no matter what other tell you about one hole groupings at 500yrds

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    as already said stick with 33.5 gr all i would do is load up another half a dozen fire 2 seperate grouping of 3 shots just to double check then dont touch a thing dont try changing the head spacing, bullet type, bullet weight or even the primer because to be honest i dont think your going to beat a 5p grouping thats bloody good no matter what other tell you about one hole groupings at 500yrds
    Not normally a stickler for semantics but I'm pretty sure you don't mean what you typed...
    Head space is not seating depth. Talking about adjusting headspace may have a new reloader scratching his head for quite some time.

Agree with everything else though.
    Last edited by Milligan; 29-09-2011 at 09:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    Not normally a stickler for semantics but I'm pretty sure you don't mean what you typed...
    Head space is not seating depth. Talking about adjusting headspace may have a new reloader scratching his head for quite some time.

Agree with everything else though.
    yes yes ok........bloody perfectionists