Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting wild boar in the UK

Shooting wild boar in the UK

I would like to know if it is legal to shoot wild boar in the uk if they are on your land or land you can shoot on?

If so are there seasons to shoot them or can you shoot them all year round?

Brent

I think you will find that you will need permission on your ticket before you can legally take one. And there are no seasons. The rut is coming up soon, which is around Christmas.

Wayne Davis is the man for Boar on this site, along with a couple of other lads.

Good luck

And i think .270 is the minimum calibre

Jonathon

Sikamalc is pretty much correct.

You can shoot wild boar provided you have the landowners permission and although some might suggest otherwise you will almost certainly need a specific variation on your FAC that mentions boar.

The Home Office guidelines recommend a minimum of .270 for boar and unless your local Firearms Officer/Department has a particularly enlightened Chief Constable you may not find it easy to get a variation without specific written permission from a landowner and confirmation from the local Plod that the land is suitable and has wild boar.

I would also recommend a minimum of 150grn and better 180grn rounds as much boar shooting is done after dark and you want the animal to go down and stay down.

Although not in any way regulated yet it is good practice not to shoot sows with dependent young at foot but barren sows or boars can be shot at any time.

I enquired to my firearms dept after being approched to shoot some boar for a land owner.. The response was that i could shoot without specification on my "ticket" no problem as it would be considered vermin control.. that is Dumfries and Galloway police

Quote Originally Posted by jsg77
    I enquired to my firearms dept after being approched to shoot some boar for a land owner.. The response was that i could shoot without specification on my "ticket" no problem as it would be considered vermin control.. that is Dumfries and Galloway police
    Some constabularies and FAC holders are relying on "vermin control" to use their rifles on boar but this is against Home Office guidelines. I would be interested to know whether the rifle in question was .270 or heavier.

There must be a chance that if HO guidelines are not used, some unfortunate stalker is going to get killed by trying to shoot a boar with a bullet that is not up to the job. As a lot of boar shooting takes place in the dark you want a round that will put a boar down with little chance of getting up again.

Quote Originally Posted by paul k

There must be a chance that if HO guidelines are not used, some unfortunate stalker is going to get killed by trying to shoot a boar with a bullet that is not up to the job. As a lot of boar shooting takes place in the dark you want a round that will put a boar down with little chance of getting up again.
    Very wise words.

Boar

In West Mercia you have to have Boar on your 'ticket' to be legal and you won't get it unless you have access to ground where they know boar are in the area.
    As for calibre we use 308/165grn minimum.

As the others have said there is no close season (thanks to the clowns at Defra) but i took this on the 27th of February and the same bunch were still pretty dependent on the sow in August so considering she would have been very heavily pregnant in January, quite a short self imposed season??
    I'm not sure if we are doing it right but you have to start some where.
    You can obviously shoot sub adults and Boar anytime.

Wayne

On my last FAC renewal I requested that Wild Boar be included. I gave as the reason that the "muppets" had been cutting the fences and releasing the farmed boar within 3miles of one the farms that I shoot. The D&C constabulary would not include boar on FAC unless the boar were actually on the land. They even phoned the landowner, who said they would want the boar shot. D&C said I would have to apply for a variation to certificate at a later time, and pay for the privilege, of course!! Cheers, Pete.