Tikka m595

j0e_bl0ggs

Any one here know the factory firing pin protrusion dimension spec for a Tikka 595 in 222?
(ok I know its not really calibre specific...);)
Just dimension please.

It's a 0.4mm depression in both SR (2.9mm) and LR (3.2mm) depth primers..... which is enough to achieve ignition in any decent make of primer.

Perhaps the reason that no-one's replied is that this is governed by the firing pin taper and the spring collar which are factory set.

It's not measurable in the ordinary sense as the pin only protrudes beyond the bolt-face on firing, or releasing the mainspring on an empty chamber by simultaneously pressing trigger and releasing the cocked bolt-handle. Any protrusion is concealed within the chamber so it's a bit of a mystery as it's dark in there :D:D

Of course, none of this is news to you or anyone, so I'm struggling to understand the reason for your question. Look at:-

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/manuals/tikka_master.pdf

The 'exploded' parts diagram - PDF - Page 34 - Part (14) - shows how it all works automatically providing of course that you use the right TIKKA parts. The engineering is sound, but I'd imagine that most rifles follow the same basic pattern.

It's a 0.4mm depression in both SR (2.9mm) and LR (3.2mm) depth primers..... which is enough to achieve ignition in any decent make of primer.

Perhaps the reason that no-one's replied is that this is governed by the firing pin taper and the spring collar which are factory set.

It's not measurable in the ordinary sense as the pin only protrudes beyond the bolt-face on firing, or releasing the mainspring on an empty chamber by simultaneously pressing trigger and releasing the cocked bolt-handle. Any protrusion is concealed within the chamber so it's a bit of a mystery as it's dark in there :D:D

Of course, none of this is news to you or anyone, so I'm struggling to understand the reason for your question. Look at:-

http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/manuals/tikka_master.pdf

The 'exploded' parts diagram - PDF - Page 34 - Part (14) - shows how it all works automatically providing of course that you use the right TIKKA parts. The engineering is sound, but I'd imagine that most rifles follow the same basic pattern.

I'm not quite sure what you are on about regarding depression. The question in easy English was how far does the firing pin stick out of the bolt face?

OK what makes you think that you measure firing pin protrusion (sticky out bit) with the bolt installed in the rifle?

I know how it works, have no problem measuring the parts and do not need a parts diagram I only needed the protrusion dimension.

As it happens It would seem that there is a problem with the primers on the factory ammunition.

Oh and a quick reply to this;

Sorry, wrong nothing to do with the firing pin taper, look again.

Thanks for the replies guys.

OK what makes you think that you measure firing pin protrusion (sticky out bit) with the bolt installed in the rifle?

To me your answer implies you have one of those Tikka bolt re-cocking tools , as I don't know of any other circumstances when you can measure this without totally disassembling the bolt. I've never done this with any of my Tikka's as this stripping and cleaning of bolts is all malarkey IMHO.

I did look again at the diagram and my reading is the same. The thickness of the steel in the bolt-face wall, and the length of the parallel section of the 'floating' firing pin must differ by about 1mm or so. The tapered section behind the pin butts up against the wall to provide the positive stop and a consistent "protrusion".In practice the resulting crater inflicted in normal primers is 0.4mm deep so there's a bit of leeway for deep-seated primers.

There's nothing else to say. This must be duff primers. If there's any other erudite explanation which a gun guru can suggest then I really don't give a stuff.
Tikka's seem well built, and mine have always gone bang.

To me your answer implies you have one of those Tikka bolt re-cocking tools , as I don't know of any other circumstances when you can measure this without totally disassembling the bolt. I've never done this with any of my Tikka's as this stripping and cleaning of bolts is all malarkey IMHO.

I did look again at the diagram and my reading is the same. The thickness of the steel in the bolt-face wall, and the length of the parallel section of the 'floating' firing pin must differ by about 1mm or so. The tapered section behind the pin butts up against the wall to provide the positive stop and a consistent "protrusion".In practice the resulting crater inflicted in normal primers is 0.4mm deep so there's a bit of leeway for deep-seated primers.

There's nothing else to say. This must be duff primers. If there's any other erudite explanation which a gun guru can suggest then I really don't give a stuff.
Tikka's seem well built, and mine have always gone bang.

Nope, for the Tikka bolt no special tool is needed, re-cock by hand. (obviously if you want to change the spring...)
Stripping and cleaning bolts is easy - it is only malarkey if one does not understand how to do it.

If you need to strip the bolt because some crap has jammed your firing pin - do you call that malarkey or go running to as 'gunsmith'?

BTW I do not suggest that the ham fisted attempt to dismantle a bolt, if you do not know how to make the required tooling (if needed) or
understand HOW to strip your bolt DON'T DO IT!

Tapered part plays no part in stopping the pin, you are looking in the wrong place. In fact it would be a **** poor design if it tried to stop on a taper.
0.4mm is what exactly? I think that you do not understand the original question. I am not interested in the depth of strike in the primer, that is of no use.
The dimension required is "how far does the pin stick out from the bolt face?" Bolt does not need to be disassembled for this only un-cocked.
Measured protrusions, so far, can be from 0.067 - 0.072" so far (1.701 - 1.828mm).
I am trying to ascertain the protrusion dimension as I came across a problem with some particular factory ammo that unfortunately the firing pin will pierce.
I suspect the ammo, but I need to check dimensions etc first.

Cheers

Last edited:
Joe, I have telephoned direct previously, with questions on specs etc,as soon as I spoke, the Lady on other end immeadiately switched to perfect English, & my queries were dealt with. Steve.

SAKO LIMITED
P.O. BOX 149
FI-11101 RIIHIMÄKI
FINLAND
Tel. (+358) 10 830 5200
Fax (+358) 19 720 446

A bit off subject but the Finns being able to speak perfect English is no surprise to me. As a Dane explained to me a Finn from one part of the country speak almost a different language to Finns in other parts so to converse they have to use a common language and that seems to be English. This came about as was in Southern Spain and a group of Finns were all talking to each other in English so I asked why.

I also understand that Tikka are still very helpful despite Berretta being involved.

All sorted now Kevin, sampled a few pins and basically the bolt that I had a problem with was within spec. Basically some over soft primers in the factory ammo.

Back